And you are the one left standing

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Two women, a hotel manager and her female friend -- a cook, are talking when a hotel concierge comes up to them to say to the hotel manager that her daughter's arrived and is waiting for her. The manager leaves them. Concierge says, sarcastically smiling and looking at the cook:
And you are the one left standing. That is a funny, funny thing, no?
(Gilmore girls, tv-series)

I have two Russian translations, which say something like:
And now I have to stand here. That is a funny, funny thing, no?
Someone got off the hook once again. Life is a funny thing, isn't it?

What does he really mean?
Thanks.

Last edited:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Despite your description, I don't think there's enough background/context to answer in detail.

It may relate to the following: There are many games in which the players compete in some way until they make a mistake. If one person makes a mistake, they are out of the game (and go sit down somewhere). Eventually there is only "one person standing" and they are therefore the winner. In general, the last man standing is the winner/survivor etc.

Alternatively, if everyone else has run away from a problem or obligation, you might be described as the one left standing and have to deal with it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Despite your description, I don't think there's enough background/context to answer in detail.

It may relate to the following: There are many games in which the players compete in some way until they make a mistake. If one person makes a mistake, they are out of the game (and go sit down somewhere). Eventually there is only "one person standing" and they are therefore the winner. In general, the last man standing is the winner/survivor etc.

Alternatively, if everyone else has run away from a problem or obligation, you might be described as the one left standing and have to deal with it.
    By "you" he actually means himself, right?
    Which season and episode is it in?
    This is a Pilot

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The concierge is telling the cook "You are the one left standing" meaning, possibly, the cook has to deal with the problem, or the cook has won some (notional) game. Only previous context/background can help elucidate the real significance.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The concierge is telling the cook "You are the one left standing" meaning, possibly, the cook has to deal with the problem, or the cook has won some (notional) game. Only previous context/background can help elucidate the real significance.
    What concierge exactly said was: You told me to tell you when your daughter arrived. Well, she's here and she's sitting in my chair (with a disappointed face expression). After daughter left, concierge sat in his chair, saying with satisfaction: "Ah, my chair.":D.
    That's why I've thought he meant himself.

Thank you.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This may well be a reference to "Musical chairs" (wiki) - a game where there are N chairs and N+1 players - when the music stops everyone is supposed to sit down, but one person must remain standing, and is the loser (of the round).

< Previous | Next >