and you were surprised with the results?!

< Previous | Next >

epistolario

Tagalog
Sometimes, people do foolish things and expect positive results. Let me give you this imaginary situation.

John relates to Jane that he had a visa interview at an embassy last week. He told her that the visa officer asked him how much his monthly salary is, and he replied, "that's none of your business, sir." Today, John tells her how dismayed he was when he saw the denial stamp upon claiming his passport this morning. He was expecting a 90% chance of approval because he submitted the complete requirements.

Jane: What?! And you were surprised with the results?! :confused:

He was not aware that his response was rude and one of the most probable causes of the denial. Does the italicized text sound natural? If not, how would express your dismay in that situation?

• owlman5

English-US
    Jane: What?! And you were surprised with the results?!
    Yes, Jane could say that. I probably wouldn't respond to John's story that way, but Jane's response certainly falls within the scope of natural speech.

If not, how would express your dismay in that situation?
    I might tell John that I thought he was an idiot for doing such a stupid thing. Depending on how well I knew him, I might even be blunter than that.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >