Anecdote explanation

< Previous | Next >

Veronika Shved

Ukrainian-Russian
A few years ago I found a book at my grandma's closer. It is called "Stories and dialogues", made in 1995 in USSR. There I found an anecdote:
GIVING A PARTY
- "How much are your peaches?"
- "Penny each, lady.
- "I'll have one, please."
- "Giving a party, lady?"

But the problem is I don't get it. Could you explain me, please, what is funny in this and maybe why should I laugh at it?) Thanks!)

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    The merchant is being entirely ironic and is mocking his customer. Most people buy fruit by the kilo, not one piece at a time. If someone were having a party, she'd buy a lot of fruit to share with her guests. But this person, ostensibly of limited means, asks for only one. I personally wouldn't find this very funny, but most of the "jokes" I've seen translated from the Russian are rather dark.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Veronika!

A person wouldn't usually buy just one piece of fruit; when buying peaches, they might buy half a dozen, or a pound (depending on how they were sold). And these peaches are very cheap, only a penny apiece. The grocery clerk is being sarcastic, commenting on such a tiny purchase.

Cross-posted.

Veronika Shved

Ukrainian-Russian
    The merchant is being entirely ironic and is mocking his customer. Most people buy fruit by the kilo, not one piece at a time. If someone were having a party, she'd buy a lot of fruit to share with her guests. But this person, ostensibly of limited means, asks for only one. I personally wouldn't find this very funny, but most of the "jokes" I've seen translated from the Russian are rather dark.
    Thanks for explanation! But I didn't translate it from russian to English. This is an old English joke. Now I got it. It is like "One-person party".Not so dark, though)

Veronika Shved

Ukrainian-Russian
    Welcome to the forum, Veronika!

A person wouldn't usually buy just one piece of fruit; when buying peaches, they might buy half a dozen, or a pound (depending on how they were sold). And these peaches are very cheap, only a penny apiece. The grocery clerk is being sarcastic, commenting on such a tiny purchase.

Cross-posted.
    Thank you very much!)

< Previous | Next >