Angelina Moro?

ninagilbert

USA English
I am editing a music manuscript (Venice, 1740) that includes what appears to be the name of someone who sang a solo in the piece: Angelina Moro. My question: none of the other soloists are given surnames. Could "Angelina Moro" mean she was either Moorish or had black hair? Or would that make her "Angelina Mora"?
Thank you,
Nina Gilbert (music professor and choir director)

• mirandolina

Scotland - English
    Moro is a very common surname in Italy and it is particularly common in the north, in the hinterland of Venice.
    (At this point I gave you a website to see distribution of surnames, but the forum would not accept it)

So the singer was probably a local girl!
    But there is the fact that none of the other singers have surnames: were they perhaps from an orphanage (such as the one where Vivaldi taught)?

Alfry

Italian
    ninagilbert said:
    I am editing a music manuscript (Venice, 1740) that includes what appears to be the name of someone who sang a solo in the piece: Angelina Moro. My question: none of the other soloists are given surnames. Could "Angelina Moro" mean she was either Moorish or had black hair? Or would that make her "Angelina Mora"?
    Thank you,
    Nina Gilbert (music professor and choir director)
    ciao Nina and welcome here.

if you say "Angelina Moro" I assume that Moro is her surname

if you say "Angelina la mora" or "la mora Angelina" I immediately figure a black haired woman (better to say a girl due to the 'ina' suffix in Angelina) in my mind

if your purpouse is to provide the image of a brown skinned woman maybe "Angelina la mora" can work.

if you say "Angelina Mora" people can figure that Mora is her surname.

If I could choose I would use "la mora Angelina". But this is only based on my "taste" ;)

hope I helped you

mirandolina

Scotland - English
    She doesn't want to translate it into Italian.
    It is already in Italian and she wants to know the meaning. Especially as there are various soloists, but only this one appears to have a surname. :)

Non ha bisogno di una traduzione in italiano.
    Il testo è già in italiano e chiede il significato. Fra i vari solisti, solo questa Angelina ha un cognome.... ecco il mistero....
    Visto che il testo risale al '700 ho pensato che magari fosse un concerto eseguito da orfanelle.... ? A Venezia non mi sorprenderebbe....

ninagilbert

USA English
    Wow! These answers are wonderful. Many thanks to all!

Yes, Angelina Moro (or whatever...) was one of the figlie at the ospedali orphanage. The manuscript actually says "Anz'a Moro." An art historian colleague tells me that "Anz'a" would be short for "Anzolina," Venetian for "Angelina."

Mirandolina, could you e-mail the Web site you mention to my aol address? That is NLGilbert at aol.

The music I am editing is from the ospedali. It's by Nicola Porpora. It is very charming to see that some of the soloists are listed by name (Elisabetta Pia and Bernardina are the others).

Of course, now I'm wondering if the reason that only Angelina Moro gets her last name listed is, maybe she wasn't an orphan. The orphanages became such renowned conservatories that local nobles would send their children there for music lessons.

This gets more complicated, and fun and interesting. But as far as my edition goes, the details of Angelina Moro's life probably don't matter. So I am satisfied! Delighted, actually.

If you know a director of a women's choir who wants to add a beautiful baroque psalm setting to their repertoire, tell them to watch for Porpora's "Ecce nunc," forthcoming from Treble Clef Music Press.

Thanks again,

Nina Gilbert (music professor, choir director, editor)
    Lafayette College, Pennsylvania USA

ninagilbert

USA English
    The forum won't let me post a normal-looking e-mail address! Or even anything with certain key terms...
    It is NLGilbert at aol
    and then a dot
    and then "com".

Oy!

Hope this works!

Nina

silvi113

Argentina Español/Italiano
    Hi "foreras",

I've been following the notes you've quoted to this thread and I'm feeling very curious too about the orphans you've mentioned; could you please forward me this site too?
    Thanks in advanced

< Previous | Next >