angling vs fishing

• Lyndon

Banned
    N/A
    My feeling is that any time you try to catch fish, you're "fishing", but when you are doing it as a sport (*), you're "angling" -- so "angling" is a sub-type of "fishing".

(*) or for pleasure. Thanks, Liliana.

Last edited:

wandle

English - British
    Any method of catching fish is called 'fishing', but it is only 'angling' when you are using a rod and line, because there is an angle where the line meets the rod.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Angling is fishing with a hook, a line, a reel and a fishing rod as opposed to fishing using a net or something else. It is just a general term for such kind of fishing, be it for pleasure or sport, but the word is hardly ever used in everyday speech. It may just be a scientific term, used by rod and lure manufactures, of something of that kind.

wandle

English - British
    Here is a recent item using the word 'angler'.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100852/UK-weather-Angler-frozen-death-temperatures-plunged-12C.html

The word 'angling' is also used when someone is trying to gain an advantage over someone else (the idea being that the use of the rod to give you an angle for fishing creates an advantage you would not have holding the line in your hands alone).
    http://www.google.com/search?q="angling+for+advantage"&hl=en&prmd=ivns&ei=IoU7T7e5DZHC8QOG3fCbCw&start=0&sa=N

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

British English
    As wandle's quote illustrates, "angling" is far from just a scientific term (in BE). It is, I believe, the most popular sport in the UK (before football) with over 4 million "anglers" and not "fishermen" in England and Wales according to the government's Environment Agency.
    It may be that the term is used because it is posher, like "philatelist" sounds more important than "stamp collector".

wandle

English - British
    People would say 'I'm going fishing' rather than 'I'm going angling' and they would say 'He's an angler', not 'a fisher', or 'a fisherman'. A fisherman is one who makes his living by fishing.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Here they would mostly say: I go fishing, I love fishing. They would not refer to themselves as fisherman that often if they do it for pleasure just with a rod and a reel, but you could hardly ever hear: I am an angler.

sdgraham

USA English
    Hi,
    When you are going to catch some fish with a fishing rod and a line, do you use the word "angle" or "angling" rather than "fish" or "fishing"?
    Out here in the Pacific Northwest of the United States where the fishing is fabulous, we enthusiastic sport fishermen would never say or write "angling" in the context you specify.

On the other hand, one sees it written in regulations, news reports, etc.

It's one of those words where you just have to learn from experience when it's appropriate.

< Previous | Next >