1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

angling vs fishing

Discussion in 'English Only' started by majlo, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi,
    When you are going to catch some fish with a fishing rod and a line, do you use the word "angle" or "angling" rather than "fish" or "fishing"?

2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    No. In most contexts where it is not necessary to be specific, people say "fishing".

3. Lyndon Banned

N/A
    My feeling is that any time you try to catch fish, you're "fishing", but when you are doing it as a sport (*), you're "angling" -- so "angling" is a sub-type of "fishing".

(*) or for pleasure. Thanks, Liliana.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Any method of catching fish is called 'fishing', but it is only 'angling' when you are using a rod and line, because there is an angle where the line meets the rod.

5. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Angling is fishing with a hook, a line, a reel and a fishing rod as opposed to fishing using a net or something else. It is just a general term for such kind of fishing, be it for pleasure or sport, but the word is hardly ever used in everyday speech. It may just be a scientific term, used by rod and lure manufactures, of something of that kind.

6. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    As wandle's quote illustrates, "angling" is far from just a scientific term (in BE). It is, I believe, the most popular sport in the UK (before football) with over 4 million "anglers" and not "fishermen" in England and Wales according to the government's Environment Agency.
    It may be that the term is used because it is posher, like "philatelist" sounds more important than "stamp collector".

8. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Would they say: I'm going angling, or is it just that the sports organization calls it this way?

9. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    People would say 'I'm going fishing' rather than 'I'm going angling' and they would say 'He's an angler', not 'a fisher', or 'a fisherman'. A fisherman is one who makes his living by fishing.

10. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Here they would mostly say: I go fishing, I love fishing. They would not refer to themselves as fisherman that often if they do it for pleasure just with a rod and a reel, but you could hardly ever hear: I am an angler.

11. I know the definitions. I aimed my query at the actual usage and wandle's #9 serves me right. ;) Thanks. :)

12. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Out here in the Pacific Northwest of the United States where the fishing is fabulous, we enthusiastic sport fishermen would never say or write "angling" in the context you specify.

On the other hand, one sees it written in regulations, news reports, etc.

It's one of those words where you just have to learn from experience when it's appropriate.

13. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

In the days when I used to live and work on the canals, the people fishing from the banks of the canals were always "fisherman" (or "reject gnomes" to boaters ;)), but many of them belonged to "angling associations/clubs".

14. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    Angle is an Old English word for a fish-hook (source: OED).

It can also refer to a hook of land - hence the village of Angle in Pembrokeshire, and possibly also the region of Denmark that plausibly gave its name to the English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeln