Animals' Feet (Elephants')

Tim~!

UK — English
It's probably strange for a native English-speaker to ask a question, but I've run into a problem.

A form of execution in India was to be trampled under the [feet] of an elephant.

The thing is, would we say feet? Dogs and cats have paws, pigs have trotters, and doubtless there are other specific names too.

So what about elephants? My instinct is to say foot, just as we say that people should wear a 'rabbit's foot' around their neck to bring them good luck.

Does anyone agree? Does anyone have any insight on naming conventions?

(For example, is it the case that a paw is only a 'foot' that has some sort of soft padding growing on the 'palm' side of it?)

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Yes, I think we say "foot". Wasn't an elephant's foot umbrella stand once a prized furnishing in the entry halls of the stately homes of the Empire? :cool:

Tim~!

UK — English
    I'm liking johndot's answer. Thanks for reaffirming my suspicions everyone :)

(Note to non-natives: My "I'm liking" isn't standard usage. It conveys a nuance to me, but you'd be best to keep to the correct "I like".)

ewie

English English
    Yes, definitely feet. (As long as you're talking about the two at the back end; the other two ~ at the front end ~ are obviously hands. Shut up, ewie, you're not helping.)