animateur / professeur

< Previous | Next >

lizmag

English
Hello
What is the difference between the words "animateur" and "professeur"? In some not-for-profit organisations they seem to be used interchangeably. Why would my French teacher be referred to an "animatrice"? She was teaching us French.
My attempt to differentiate:
animateur - group activity leader
professeur - someone who is teaching you a skill or enhancing your knowledge
Thank you

• tartopom

French
    I agree with you.

About non-profit organisations such as 'les MJC' or social centres I think if a person teaches sth - French, guitar, etc- they're called prof(esseur).
    And when they're in charge of an activity - tarots, gardening, etc- they're called animateur-trice.
    Then I wouldn't call your French teacher 'une animatrice'. Even if it might be her job title on her payslip.

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    To be called professeur requires a certain level of education and diplomas. I guess she's not allowed to use the title and some other people are.
    But you could call her professeur if you want.
    In formal schools, only professors are authorized to teach and use this title. In your environment, it's not mandatory as it is not a degree course.

lizmag

English
    Thank you all for your responses. The French teacher in question certainly had the requisite qualifications to be called "professeur(e)" and seemed slightly irked to be referred to as "animatrice"!

Topsie

English-UK
    As @tartopom points out in #2, a lot depends on where the teaching/learning is taking place.
    One can be any of the following: professeur(e), enseignant(e), intervenant(e), formateur/trice, instituteur/trice, moniteur/trice, animateur/tice, instructeur/trice... and still basically be a teacher! :D

< Previous | Next >