ankle twisted vs ankle was twisted

shanno

URDU
Hi Everyone
I am confused about the following
"I twisted my ankle" I know we say this. Twist is transitive verb, and transitive verb can be in passive voice. It means I can say "My ankle got or was twisted"
BUT we don"t say "was twisted". We say "My ankle twisted".
Please explain me in details.
Many many thanks for helping

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Twist" can be either transitive or intransitive, so either is correct:

"My ankle twisted so badly when I fell that I ended up with a severe sprain."

"My ankle was twisted badly when I landed." or "My ankle got twisted..."

kool-wind

British English
    You can say "My ankle was twisted by something", or "My ankle twisted something" but if you've got a twisted ankle you are more likely to say, or hear "I twisted my ankle."

sdgraham

USA English
    You can say "My ankle was twisted by something", or "My ankle twisted something" but if you've got a twisted ankle you are more likely to say, or hear "I twisted my ankle."
    I really don't think you mean to say that your ankle grabbed something and twisted it - at least I hope not. :)

kool-wind

British English
    I really don't think you mean to say that your ankle grabbed something and twisted it - at least I hope not. :)
    Of course the ankle doesn't grab something and twist it. I was simply highlighting the transitive nature of the verb.
    In that construction the ankle is the agent causing something to twist or become twisted.

As in "While trying on my ill-fitting Tin Man costume for the play, my ankle twisted the flimsy foil structure…"

That is why I wouldn't say "My ankle twisted" if I mean that I twisted my ankle.

< Previous | Next >