anneau de rappel (bijouterie)

frenchyrosbif

UK
English
Hello again,

Another jewellery query! Necklaces are given in lengths, Longueur: 16cm, Anneau de rappel à 14cm. Can anyone help with what the 'Anneau de rappel' might be? I can't seem to find an equivalent on UK necklaces.

Merci beaucoup!
Vic

• frenchyrosbif

UK
    English
    Hey, yes thank you I found it in climbing too but I'm definitely looking for the jewellery term:

Plaqué Or 750/000 (Poinçon), Longueur: 16 cm, Anneau de rappel à 14 cm, Largeur de maille: 3 mm,

Kelly B

USA English
    16 cm is awfully short for a necklace. I'd guess it's a bracelet that has an extra ring/loop in addition to the one at the end of the chain so that it can be adjusted to 14 cm on a smaller wrist (pencil-neck? :p). I'm not sure what to call that, but you might avoid the issue by just describing it as adjustable to 14 cm.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I think it is a ring like the one to the right of the clasp in this photo. It seems to be used to make the necklace or bracelet shorter, as Kelly B says.

As for how to say it in English, the only bilingual jewellery sites that I have found say "additional ring" or "adjustable ring" where the French says "anneau de rappel". There must be something better.

frenchyrosbif

UK
    English
    Hehe yes sorry the measurements were for a bracelet (not a pencil neck! ;) ). I may have to go with 'adjustable ring' if I can't find anything else.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    If you use "adjustable ring", some readers may think it means a ring that can be adjusted for different finger sizes, like this:

Kelly B

USA English
    It's a link that's circle/ring/loop-shaped to accept the clasp, as opposed to the shaped links (mailles) that form the decorative chain. The component parts are called jump rings, but they're almost never called that in the finished product.
    I agree with Hildy1 - it isn't the ring here that's adjustable, it's the resulting length of the chain.
    Similar products listed in English are often phrased something like
    Length: 16 cm, adjustable to 14 cm (edit: where it is simply implied that you do this by attaching the clasp to a ring that is a few cm in from the end of the chain.)

Last edited:

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Are you sure it's jewellery? I'd normally expect that to refer to an abseil/rappel ring.
    This is also what I would have understood of anneau de rappel, out of context.
    I don't remember ever hearing it to define an "extra ring/loop to shorten a bracelet or necklace".

I would have said anneau d'ajustement as in these examples :
    Longueur bracelet : 18cm avec anneau d'ajustement à 16cm.
    Longueur collier : 45cm avec anneau d'ajustement à 42cm.
    Chaîne en or blanc. Longueur 42 cm, anneau d'ajustement à 40 cm.
    As read in the description of this bracelet (I have yet to learn how to insert a small image like Hildy did :oops:)
    17.50 cm length with sizing rings at 14.50 cm and at 16 cm.
    I also read adjustment ring (rather than adjustable), but sizing ring sounds right to me. :)

Last edited:

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    It hadn't crossed my mind. But I still think that it works. If I read (as I quoted, with a link to the picture below) : 17.50 cm length with sizing rings at 14.50 cm and at 16 cm.
    I certainly wouldn't think of a set or rings used to determine the right size of ring for your finger. Those "rings" are to fit the bracelet to the wrist size (or for an option of tight or loose).

Either that or (already mentioned) adjustment ring.
    adjustable silver 925 charm bracelet
    length : 17 cm with adjustment ring at 16 cm
    handmade in Paris (with love)

Three adjustment rings are are available to fasten with t-bar so that the bracelet can be worn at the shortest length of 170 mm and longest 210 mm.
    The second example is copied from the website of a jewelry store located in Pewsey, Wiltshire, U.K. ;)

But if neither of those works for you, what would you suggest, wildan?

Last edited:

frenchyrosbif

UK
    English
    Hello all,

Yes, it is an extra ring, used to adjust the length of the bracelet, sizing ring or adjustment ring will definitely work.

Many thanks for the suggestions and help.

< Previous | Next >