Announce a contest?

< Previous | Next >

mizza95

Serbian- Serbia
Does the sentence sound ok?

"The organization announces the contest ...."

The part " announces the contest" is problematic ( is there a better verb for this particular construction)

The context is: after the contest, first comes the test and after that, admission

• Copyright

American English
    What is the organization? What is the contest? What are the test and the admission? (You have a contest and a test?) More context is definitely needed for a decent answer.

mizza95

Serbian- Serbia
    What is the organization? What is the contest? What are the test and the admission? (You have a contest and a test?) More context is definitely needed for a decent answer.
    The organization is a faculty
    The contest is the process of registering for the test and doing the test
    After the test , you are in or out ( admission)

I'm not sure if " announces" is the right verb that should go with contest ( for a faculty) or the noun contest is the problem...

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Announce" is good. The word "contest" does not fit this meaning. A "contest" is a competition. "Registering for the test" is something everyone can do.

The test itself is a "competition". Students compete with each other for admission. But it is unusual to use "contest" for this kind of competition. The word "contest" is usually used for either a sports competition (with 3 prizes: 1st place, 2d place and 3d place) or something you win by luck (like a lottery).

Copyright

American English
    Makes sense. I left "contest" because I thought it really was a contest, some sort of lottery perhaps, to get an application in the first place.

< Previous | Next >