Announced / Advertised

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
Hi All,

I am sending an email to a recruiter manager regarding the new opening that I found in his company's website. Which verb that is commonly used and that I can use from the below highlighting verbs.

I believe that I have the necessary qualifications for holding a Marketing Manger job that you recently announced on your website.
I believe that I have the necessary qualifications for holding a Marketing Manger job that you recently advertised on your website.

Appreciate your prospects if nothing from the above verb can not be used in such a context.

Note: I found the opening on the company's website.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In my opinion, it would depend on the format used.

Did it take the form of an advertisement? I'd describe that as having a box around it and having the information phrased in very short phrases, not full sentences, for example: Wanted: Marketing Manager. Must have xxx degree, min. 2 yrs. experience. Start beginning of 2013. Salary open. Apply ____@____.

OR was it in normal prose, such as: "We have an opening for a marketing manager; the requirements include . . . "?

If the first, I'd use the word advertised; if the second, I'd use the word announced. And if I still were not quite sure, I'd use announced; the reason is that an advertisement is a form of announcement, but the reverse isn't always true. In any case, announced will not be incorrect.

Loob

English UK
    I vote for "advertise".

"Announce a job" doesn't make much sense to me, except in the context of an organisation giving publicity to the fact that it had created a new post to react to new circumstances.

< Previous | Next >