announced that we <are / were> going to Zoo

< Previous | Next >

dumbfounded

persian
Write a story on a panther breaking out of its cage?
Student: That day I was very happy when our teacher announced that we are going to Zoo.
In my language Is suits here, however he was writing in English.
I have seen threads and what I understand by them is Were suits here.
If anyone can help me. Thanks

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, the verb in that sentence should be "were" as it's written using the past tense (That day I was very happy...).
    So: "Student: That day I was very happy when our teacher announced that we were going to Zoo."

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In reported speech with a past tense we usually shift the tenses in the subordinate clause:

1. I am very happy when our teacher announces that we are going to the Zoo.
    2. I was very happy when our teacher announced that we were going to the Zoo.

The exceptions are for eternal truths, and for information with pressing present relevance.

The news that you are going to go to the Zoo may well come into the second category, so you could say 3. That day I was very happy when our teacher announced that we are going to the Zoo.

It may be worth noting:

1. That this wouldn't work if the visit to the Zoo had already taken place. You can only say 3. if the visit to the Zoo is still in prospect.
    2. That putting the verb in the clause into the continuous present, as in 3, communicates the excitement of the children much more than shifting the tense, as in 2.

ps. Note that you need the article, the Zoo.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >