Announcing WordReference Lists

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by mkellogg, Jan 10, 2017.

1. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    WordReference Lists

Hi everybody,

We have been working on something new for WordReference and I am ready to present it to you all in the forums. It is WordReference Lists. You can use the lists to increase your vocabulary in English or favorite language. You can also create lists for everybody to use.

Common steps:
    1. Choose a list.
    2. Click "See Translations" and choose your dictionary.
    3. Click through the list of words to see the meanings (the translations or definitions).

The main principals guiding the lists:
    1. Monolingual - The lists are monolingual. This way, a list created in English by somebody in Spain can be used by learners in France, Italy, China and any other country.
    2. Collaborative - You can copy list content to put in your own list, others can copy your lists.
    3. Mostly English - For now, let's keep the lists mostly in English, so that the lists can be useful to a wider group worldwide.

The goal here is to eventually have a great collection of lists that you can use to improve your understanding of a language that you are learning.

For example, I have created a list of Eating and Serving Utensils. It is a simple list that contains the basic utensils and related terms that I use everyday. While it is simple to me, I bet that the vast majority of learners of English would learn something in it.

The Lists website is not perfect now. I am sure that you can think of many helpful features that could be added. Me, too, but we needed to start somewhere. :) Let me know here if you encounter any problems now. Once it is in good shape and we have a few lists, I will introduce it and incorporate it into the dictionaries for the whole world to see.

So, please find an idea and create a list for the world to use!

Mike

2. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Hi, Mike,

This is a good idea, since lists aren't allowed; it both gives learners a chance to expand their vocabulary and will reduce the number of posts. Should there maybe be both definitions/decriptions and examples? And of course your list will have many addditions e.g., 'china(ware)"; for 'silverware' we also say 'flatware', for 'crystal', 'stemware', etc. In some cases, mightn't GB & AM EN be different, too ('frying pan/skillet', 'pot/saucepan')?

Just my two cents' worth...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Excellent idea, Mike!
    I'm sure it will be helpful to many. I also love that "see translations" feature which takes us to the dictionaries. :thumbsup:
    May I suggest -if it's doable- that the lists be in alphabetical order?

4. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Right now, we just provide the one 'description' column. We have created the ability to add many more columns, such as examples, tags, linked senses in definitions, etc., but we wanted to present something more simple to start with.

I tried to put my "utensils" list in an order that made sense with the basic utensils at the top, but, sure, it wouldn't be too hard to let people sort a list alphabetically.

5. Amapolas

Amapolas Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano rioplatense
    A very useful new feature. Congratulations on a great idea.

I wonder whether this will grow to include other languages as well, and whether it will accept contributions or suggestions from members.

6. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Thanks, Amapolas!
    Sure. We want to start with English, though. Ideally, we would want non-native English speakers to feel comfortable starting a list and relying on native speakers to suggest additions and changes. Right now, there is no way to easily give feedback. We hope to add it soon.

7. Amapolas

Amapolas Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano rioplatense
    If I may suggest a subject for a new list it might be tools (wrench, pliers, etc.). :)

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    What's the point?:confused:

9. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Lists are a fascinating subject matter. There is even a collection of books devoted to it—The book of lists. People create lists for all kinds of reasons and I personally like them a lot. :) The best thing about WR’s lists is that they are collaborative and, from an educational standpoint, collaboration is a powerful way of learning. What’s great about this new feature is that everyone is invited to collaborate but no one is forced to. ;)

Mike, thanks for your continued efforts to make WR a better tool for language learning. :) I think this new feature would benefit from some of the old “WR Glossaries” forum contributions. :)

10. Amapolas

Amapolas Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano rioplatense
    It's great for people who speak other languages. For example, my suggestion about tools was brought to mind because many years ago (and there was no Internet back then to help me) I made a list for myself, which I compiled by badgering a number of native English speakers I knew. I was fortunate that I was working in an embassy and had a lot of them around. Lists are really helpful.

11. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Thank you both:)

12. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Haha. I think many people will find it useful to have lists of related terms available to study. When learning Spanish, one of my best resources was a small book with translated lists, organized by subject: sports, animals, food, "the house", etc. This will provide something similar, adapted for the online world. I also have a good feeling that if somebody looks up the word 'spoon' in one of our dictionaries, he or she might be interested in the translation of fork, knife, etc.

13. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    It sounds like the Themed Lists subforum in French-English, which was a lot of fun and remains useful, or it would be if it were more visible.

There's a thread about that issue here somewhere, in fact, but I don't think it elicited any responses.

14. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    We have a False Friends thread in IT-EN. The thread format is pretty robust and detailed, which makes sense. Looking at how the example works, with the option to show translations and definitions inline, I wonder if this might be another useful way of presenting that list. @Paulfromitaly

15. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Ah, the themed lists. I had forgotten about it. That was our attempt at much of the same thing from 10 years ago!
    This type of list is a bit hard for a monolingual list, but it might convert over easily.

16. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    Mostly English lists were proposed: I was thinking in this case that would just mean a list of relevant English words that could be navigated with ‘See translations’ → and either ‘Italian-English’ or ‘English definition’.

17. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

But there are a good number of "false friends" between British and North American English, too.

pavement/sidewalk/road
    underground/subway
    rubber/eraser
    biscuit/cookie/scone
    knock someone up/go see someone

etc...​

The same goes for French, Spanish, German, and probably any language that is spoken widely in more than a single country.

18. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod (AL, Sp-En mod)

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Ah, great idea, Mike! :)
    It reminds me of the Multingual Glossaries as well:
    Multilingual Glossaries

I have tried to add lists to see what it was like. I didn't manage to add descriptions for terms though.
    (I didn't quite know how to handle the UK/US spelling (eg: autumn/fall))

Also, once the list was created, I didn't manage to add a description to the list.
    And going back to the homepage is that not obvious.

19. Chrestos_SV1GAP

Chrestos_SV1GAP New Member

KM18UA
    Greek-Greece
    I did something similar to the 'lists' some time ago by creating a new folder (actually subfolder) in my browser's bookmarks where I save the url, eg. amendment - Αγγλοελληνικό Λεξικό WordReference.com. This way I can have 3 or more lists, I can sort the words in the lists to my taste and I can also share these lists/subfolders.

20. ChrisKZ New Member

Mandarin - Chinese
    I found the Lists is very useful! Would that be possible if we could have a searching function by using keyword to find what we are looking for? Like if I want to find the words frequently used in office, so I can search "office" or "things on the desk" etc, instead of being keep turning so many pages :)

21. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    We are working on adding search to the lists. I was going to say to look in the dictionaries. They are supposed to show all the lists that a term shows up in, but it doesn't seem to be working now. :( It should be working right in a few days and you should be able to find all lists that include "pen" towards the bottom of a page like this: pen - English-French Dictionary WordReference.com

22. ChrisKZ New Member

Mandarin - Chinese
    That's awesome, thank you!