Annoy or tease

< Previous | Next >

Alaor Santos

Portuguese Brazil
Hi everyone!

Can you help me?

Sometimes the way other people do things annoys us. I have a question about what other people's behavior causes in us. I understand the verbs Tease and Pick on. If I keep telling you to do this or that, if I keep criticizing you for the way you do things, you will probably tell me to stop teasing you or stop picking on you. But imagine somebody eating in a way you do not like. The way this person eats annoys you, but you never tell this person this is happening. In Portuguese we use the same verb for both situations <<--non-English removed-->>.

I cannot find a verb in English to describe the second situation. Maybe I should just be satisfied with the verb Annoy? Could I say maybe I have an issue with her about the way she eats? It is important to highlight here that the person I feel something agains does not know anything about my feelings at all (in Portuguese).

In Portuguese I would say: <<--non-English removed-->>. This means she does something I do not like, but she will not necessarily ever know what I feel about her. But I will probably avoid being near her so I will not be annoyed by the way she does something.

This is a very special verb in Portuguese because sometimes we do not let the other person know what we feel about him or her because we ourselves are not sure if should ever be feeling that way. Maybe any other person in our place would not react the way we do and that is why we keep wondering if we are being unfair or too fussy about this other person.
So my question is, when somebody does something that annoys you but you are not sure if YOU are the problem, what verb should I use? And could you thing of a noun to describe that verb, too?

Thank you

Alaor

Thank you

Alaor

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Andygc

British English
    "Irritate". "It really irritates me when people eat with their mouths open. There's few things worse at the dinner table than the sight of somebody else's half-chewed food."

Alaor Santos

Portuguese Brazil
    A pet peeve or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to themselves, to a greater degree than others may find it.
    Pet peeves often involve specific behaviours of someone close, such as a spouse or significant other.[3] These behaviours may involve disrespect, manners, personal hygiene, relationships, and family issues.[4] A key aspect of a pet peeve is that it may well seem acceptable to others. For example, a supervisor may have a pet peeve about people leaving the lid on the copier up and react angrily, be annoyed when others interrupt when speaking, or be upset by messy desks of their subordinates. [5] To most people, these may seem minor annoyances, but not to the supervisor. That same supervisor may witness employees coming into work late and not feel any annoyance whatsoever.

sdgraham

USA English
    Are you answering your own question, Alaor? ... or are you asking whether it answers your original query?

if I keep criticizing you for the way you do things, you will probably tell me to stop teasing you or stop picking on you.
    :thumbsdown:

Sorry, but "criticize" is not the meaning of "tease."

sdgraham

USA English
    Colloquially, we (AE) also use "bug," which (among other things) means both "annoy" and "pester."

For example:

"It really bugs me when somebody mindlessly clicks a ball-point pen."

But if I keep telling somebody about it, he might say "Stop bugging me about it."

As always, context rules. :)

< Previous | Next >