annoying bubble popping

Packard

USA, English
Context:

It is important to keep random pieces of bubble wrap from one of my co-workers or she will compulsively "pop" them to the annoyance of everyone around.

Question:

What would be a suitable term for this behavior as it affects the perpetrator?

What would be a suitable term for this behavior as it affects those innocent victims in her vicinity?

I came up with "Popette Syndrome" but it does not really hit the mark.

This behavior seems to be widespread and I am thinking that someone must have coined a term by now.

• Loob

English UK
    I'll have a ponder, Mr P.

In the meantime, you might find that this site relieves some of the stress....

Later EDIT: is she, perhaps, a blasted blisterbuster?

________

Is this the lady who always flirting with you?

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    I haven't heard a specific word to describe bubble-popping. And that's just what I would call it, bubble-popping. :)
    It is descriptive of the act, but not of the annoyance it creates (similar to the annoyance of finger nails across the chalk board). I need something with more of a pejorative factor, like: slimy little bubble popping twit.

Josh_

U.S., English
    I would just call it "compulsive bubble popping" or if you want to make it sound like an actual medical illness maybe something like "Compulsive Popping Disorder," or "Compulsive Bubble(wrap) Popping Disorder."

Out of curiosity, I did some searching and found this site (not a serious site) which uses the term "bubblewrap obsession" and even provides some bubblewrap for your popping enjoyment:). Underneath that they use the term "compulsive popping disorder."

Wynn Mathieson

English - United Kingdom
    Co-WoRFers, let us not forget that Packard posed two questions:

(1) What would be a suitable term for this behavior as it affects the perpetrator?
    (2) What would be a suitable term for this behavior as it affects those innocent victims in her vicinity?

I would suggest:

(1) Compulsive bubble-wrap popping disorder
    (2) Passive compulsive bubble-wrap popping disorder

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    The perp: Longing for poppy seaweed to pop while far from the sea shore, aka, Libby the air liberator.

The afflicted: Too vain and stylish to wear headphones to work. Irate aeration afflicted.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Wow, are you trying to take over for Bob Thaves, cuchu? ;)

I like popping bubble-wrap, too, but while it's fun to pop, it is extremely annoying to listen to, so I usually do it when no one else is around (or give them one end of a strip, so we can race to the middle). Anyway, I like the name of a popular online bubble-wrap popping game: Bubble-wrap maniac.
    Well, that's probably preferable to the other two words I'd use: obsessive or immature (if she's annoying that many people). :mad:
    As for those who have to suffer around her? Why not call them the annoyed, long-suffering, or homicidal (depending on how long the bubble-popping has gone on)?

ewie

English English
    I hate to appear out-of-touch and British and everything, but what is this bubble-wrap, of which I have never heard of?

curlyboy20

Peruvian Spanish.
    Bubble wrap is that kind of bag used to protect goods (like electronics or appliances) inside a box. You know, when you buy a radio or a television, you open the box and you'll find layers of plastic with bubbles. Popping them are so much fun!

Packard

USA, English
    I hate to appear out-of-touch and British and everything, but what is this bubble-wrap, of which I have never heard of?
    Bubble wrap is an American invention used strictly in the Colonies so it is of little import to you.

It is two sheets of very thin plastic laminated in such a way as to create many adjacent "bubbles" of air trapped between the sheets. It is used as packing to insure against shipping damage.

To the rest of you who are not so culturally isolated:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was kind of thinking that there was a set phrase for this as it seems to be a fairly commonplace occurrence. And since it seems to be compulsive among many practitioners and annoying to all others.

I will take these suggestions under consideration.

Regards,

Packard

Addendum: I used "strictly" in an inappropriate manner for which I humbly apololgize. Strictly speaking I should have said "used exclusively in the colonies".

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    It's not only used in the colonies, Mr P - I've got loads of it. And it takes up so much space when you try to throw it away that you have to pop the bubbles first.

Not that I'm compulsive about it or anything.

... used strictly in the Colonies
    How do you use bubble-wrap strictly?:eek:

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Oh that bubble-wrap. Yes it's used strictly here too. I thought it was some kind of chewing-gummy stuff. My mistake.

< Previous | Next >