annoying shop assistant hands-on approach

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
I guess everyone here has experienced this kind of pushy hard selling when you're browsing in a shop. As soon as you step inside a shop, an assistant keeps following you around like a shadow and pestering you with questions and recommendations. Even though you're intended to buy an item, his overwhelming approach just puts you off buying anything and you end up walking out empty handed. You swear that you will never go there again because of their hands-on approach.

Would you call this pushy selling approach as "hands-on approach"?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    An in-your-face approach? To me, 'hands-on' has some echo of the literal meaning: they're not just in the background, they're not just talking, they're working on something - they're typing at the computer to show you something, perhaps.

pwmeek

English - American
    Hands-on is usually reserved for education-by-doing-under-supervision (to hyphenate a phrase).

In addition to etb's suggestion, I would call the example above pushy (as you have resorted to twice in your description), aggressive, hovering, or (if I wanted to be nice about it) over-attentive.

Note that many shops pay the shop-assistants a commission on each sale they make. If they spend time with you, they don't want you to walk away, and then buy the item from a different shop-assistant. They will stick with you, and fill the time with suggestions and recommendations. If you say that when you are done looking and comparing, you will find them and make your purchase from them, they may let you alone.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks for your help, entangledbank and pwmeek~ It's a shame I tend to avoid those stores and miss out on a lot of good deals just because of their pushy in-your-face approach

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Kelso: So, why are you so afraid to get all up in Dr. Cox's grill?

JD: We both know he can occasionally be somewhat of a vengeful person.

Source: Scrubs 807
    Background: As the new Chief of Medicine, Dr Cox couldn't pull string for patients as he used to. The Board was keeping an close eye on him. So he said no to JD's request of letting a lonely old patient stay in the hospital a little bit longer. Knowing that Dr Cox was a vengeful person, JD didn't bother him again. In this scene, former Chief of Medicine Dr Kelso came in and gave JD a piece of advice - if he thought a request was important , he should keep asking him for the same request until he caved in.

Hi, is it okay to use "get all up in someone's grill" for a "in-your-face shop-assistant", as in:

Whenever I went to the store, those annoying shop assistants would get all up in my grill, making me extremely uncomfortable.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks Copyright. Almost all the explanations of this expression are from unreliable yahoo knowledge or off-the wall Urban dictionary. I'll definitely avoid it.

< Previous | Next >