Anong sabi mo

lukaa18

English (CAN)/French(CAN)-bilingual
Hi! I'm a beginner in Tagalog so my question is probably going to be very basic. I learned that "Anong sabi mo?" means "What did you say?". But I don't understand... isn't "sabi" just the root? Shouldn't it be conjugated in the past? Like "Anong sinabi mo"??

Can someone help me understand?

Maraming salamat sa inyong lahat!

• DotterKat

English (American)
    Yes sabi is the root verb.

It should indeed be sinabi which is the the object-focus form, completed aspect (equivalent of past tense in English):
    Ano ang sinabi mo?

Liaison between ano and ang for fluidity:
    Anong sinabi mo?

lukaa18

Yes sabi is the root verb.

It should indeed be sinabi which is the the object-focus form, completed aspect (equivalent of past tense in English):
    Ano ang sinabi mo?

Liaison between ano and ang for fluidity:
    Anong sinabi mo?
    So basically, it should be sinabi but native speakers might sometimes speak in a gramatically incorrect way and just say sabi?

Cause I've been seeing a lot of root verbs being used in sentences and it confused me. For example, in this video at 1:42 she says "kailangan mo ng tulong?"

Also, other question: She says "gusto mong kunin yung kotse" but when I look at the conjugations of the verb to get, the closest thing I can find to "kunin" is "kukunin". Why isn't she saying kukunin?

Last edited:

DotterKat

English (American)
    Yes, as is true in other languages Tagalog general parlance involves shortcuts, placeholders, neologisms and other variations from standard form that may be a true evolutionary trend or due to simple errors or lassitude. Thus, sabi instead of sinabi.

Kailangan mo ng tulong? is correct.

Gusto mong kuhanin (shortened to kunin) yung kotse? is likewise correct. Kukuhanin (shortened to kukunin) is the contemplated aspect (future tense) of the same verb and would be incorrect in this context.

lukaa18

Yes, as is true in other languages Tagalog general parlance involves shortcuts, placeholders, neologisms and other variations from standard form that may be a true evolutionary trend or due to simple errors or lassitude. Thus, sabi instead of sinabi.

Kailangan mo ng tulong? is correct.

Gusto mong kuhanin (shortened to kunin) yung kotse? is likewise correct. Kukuhanin (shortened to kukunin) is the contemplated aspect (future tense) of the same verb and would be incorrect in this context.
    I just realized something. I learned that when pronouns like ko, mo, etc.. are used, "ang" must be used instead of "ng". So why is it Kailangan mo ng tulong? :O

DotterKat

English (American)
    Review the use of the non-focus maker ng and the focus marker ang.

You will then see the difference between Ang kailangan ko ay tulong and Kailangan ko ng tulong.

< Previous | Next >