1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

another cricket term

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mehrk, Dec 26, 2018.

1. mehrk

mehrk Senior Member

Turkish
    Hello

Please read the following lines which, again, are from Jasper Jones novel:

"It’s hard to understand. The folks who watch Jasper play, who barrack for him like he was one of their own, are the same ones who might cut their eyes at him should he walk their way a few hours after the game. But they’ll smile and cheer and shake their heads in wonderment if he takes a run through the center or if he nails one from the pocket."

These are another cricket terms that I have no idea what they mean.

Thanks for your help buddies.

2. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    They are not cricketing terms.

3. mehrk

mehrk Senior Member

Turkish
    So, what they mean?

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    Your guess is as good as mine.

It would have helped me to know that the book is set in Australia, so maybe these are Australian cricket terms. But Australians come to the UK and talk about cricket, and I usually find them completely comprehensible.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  5. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    It sounds as if the people referred to in the passage cheer for him on the field but are hostile towards him off it, so those two terms do seem to refer to things that he does on the cricket field.

"Takes a run" is a cricket term - it refers to scoring a run by running from one end of the wicket/pitch to the other. I haven't heard "through the center" used with it before - perhaps the writer means he hit the ball through the area on the ground where the opposing team's fielders (who're supposed to stop the ball) were concentrated.

The rule is one question per thread, so please start a separate thread for this.

6. mehrk

mehrk Senior Member

Turkish
    I thought they may be somehow related to each other that`s why I put them both in one thread.

7. mehrk

mehrk Senior Member

Turkish
    It kind of seems to me he takes a RUN from the center of the field and takes another RUN from the pocket area! (of course, if there`s at all any area in the cricket`s field called Pocket!)

8. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    No, that doesn't make sense in cricket. Also, I'm sure the two phrases refer to different things (though they both refer to things he did).

I've already explained what I think "take a run through the center" might mean, in #5.

To elaborate, it could mean he hit the ball through the center of a group of fielders and then took a run. But this is a guess. "Through the center" is an unusual phrase for the context.

9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Not unusually, I'm in agreement with Barque
    To take a run = a batsman takes runs from the bowler. The bowler is supposed to bowl balls that the batsman cannot hit hard and/or get him out. So cricketers speak of taking a run (from the bowler) hence, to take a run = to make/achieve a run (a run is a unit of scoring). (The batsman scores by hitting the ball and then running from his stumps to the other set of stumps and at the same time the other batsman will run to the first batman's end.)

through the centre - by hitting the ball through the centre of the field. The ball will travel on or close to the ground at between 90 and 45 degrees to the way that the batsman (Jasper) is facing. This would be a good shot because the other side should have positioned their fielders (the men on the cricket field) to prevent this.

This should not be confused with down the centre in which the batsman hits the ball back and slightly to the left or right of the bowler

Glossary of cricket terms - Wikipedia <- this should help you. :)

10. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Are we talking about Jasper Jones, a 2009 novel by Australian writer Craig Silvey? If so, TT's comment in #4 is very appropriate, but I share his bafflement. However, there are other expressions that the average British reader won't get, like cut their eyes at him.

11. mehrk

mehrk Senior Member

Turkish
    Yes, that`s it.