another earth must <pass>

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hubocfcool, Mar 24, 2016.

1. hubocfcool

hubocfcool Senior Member

Shenyang, China
    Chinese
    This is a paragraph from the science fiction novel Another Heaven, Another Earth by H. M. Hoover.

" The ancient zoologist Beebe had written, "...when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can come again." And so, finding Earth desolate, she searched. "

I really don't quite understand what the "pass" means here and how to interpret the quotation, so please help, thank you, you guys!

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I suppose this means that another heaven and earth must be created and destroyed before such a one can come again.

3. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    It means "to pass away, to disappear, to cease to exist."

The quotation means that a species is unique, and once it is lost it will never be seen again for as long as this universe lasts.

4. hubocfcool

hubocfcool Senior Member

Shenyang, China
    Chinese
    if so, then how to interpret "another heaven and another earth"? Does it mean the place that species go to after they die?

5. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    "A new universe."

6. hubocfcool

hubocfcool Senior Member

Shenyang, China
    Chinese
    Thanks, but I still have doubts.

Why not the author writes "This heaven and this earth must pass..." instead of "Another heaven and Another earth must pass...", wouldn't the first one be more logically appropriate?

Or "Another heaven and Another earth must be born before such a one can come again" is much easier to understand, I suppose.

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    This looks like the dramatic language of fantasy, Hub. It probably won't help you too much to expect logic in such language. It's just a dramatic way to say that "such a one" can't come again for a very long time.

8. hubocfcool

hubocfcool Senior Member

Shenyang, China
    Chinese
    Thanks a lot!