Another expression of okay, sure

Discussion in 'English Only' started by yuirobo, Sep 6, 2009.

1. yuirobo Senior Member

Japanese
    I'm working as waiter at a restaurant.
    I want to maximize my words.
    Is there any other expression of Okay and Sure when I ask something?(order)

And when I refill a glass of water or tea customers say thank-you, Is there any other expression besides your welcome?
    or should I say nothing?

Plus, when I refill a glass of water, is this natural to ask you'' would you like more? or would you like more water?''
    or is there another expression of it?

I have many things to ask about.

Thank you so much in advance!

2. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    As a response by a waiter to a customer, I would find "OK" or "Sure" to be less than truly polite. What is it that you are asking the customers?

When the customer says "thank you" when you refill the glasses, you may say nothing.

A good waiter will keep a customer's water glass filled at all times, so it is not necessary to ask if the customer wants more water: if the water glas is less than full, the waiter should fill it automatically. On the other hand, you would ask the customer if he or she wold like more of another beverage (such as coffee.) You wold ask by saying "Would you like some more coffee?" (or whatever it is the customer is drinking.)

3. Au101 Senior Member

London
    England, English (UK)
    Well, it depends where you are working, as well. GreenWhiteBlue's suggestion may well be correct etiquette in an expensive restaurant (of which I know nothing :)) but if somebody were to constantly refill my glass, I would probably get rather annoyed :).

4. xjm Senior Member

WI, USA
    English - USA
    It's possible that the expectation of a filled water glass is an American expectation. In France one has to specifically ask for a pitcher of water to be put on the table, otherwise one ends up unwittingly buying bottled water.

5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    The question is about English language usage. The United States is by far the largest English speaking nation. English is not the language most commonly spoken in restaurants in France.

6. yuirobo Senior Member

Japanese
    Ohh.. That meaning was that..
    When Customers try to order something or ask more water, I would say
    '' Okay'' ''Sure'' but is there any words I can use ?
    because I'm getting bored using okay and sure.

7. Ann O'Rack Senior Member

UK
    UK English
    What country are you working in? "OK" and "Sure" might be very common in the US, but we generally don't use "sure" in the UK in this context.

If you're in the US I won't offer any suggestions, as cultural context is everything, but would be happy to help if you're in the UK. The reason for this is that what a UK waiter might say could sound faintly ridiculous, or even completely inappropriate, in the US. And Australia's probably a totally different story altogether!

8. xjm Senior Member

WI, USA
    English - USA
    Sorry for being confusing, I just meant that it's a cultural practice and I don't know if one is expected to fill water glasses in every (anglophone) environment. France was just the only example I could speak to personally.

9. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    "Certainly" is a useful alternative, and would sound fine, if not overused, at least on the East side of the Atlantic. Saying "you're welcome" every time someone thanks you for refilling their glass could get irritating for both customer and yourself, but there's no really widely used alternative, apart from a smile.

Personally I would find it extremely annoying if someone kept filling my glass without my asking. Quite apart from the constant interruption and the forced thank you/you're welcome, I'd never be able to keep track of how much I'm drinking.
    Now, if they kept refilling my beer on the other hand.... :)

10. xjm Senior Member

WI, USA
    English - USA
    I actually carry a water bottle to restaurants because they never refill my water enough. I think we've gone off topic, though.

For yuirobo: I think what's most important is where or when, exactly, you're refilling the glass. If they come up to the café counter and ask for a refill, "sure thing," "certainly," etc. are fine when they thank you for doing it. If they're at a table in conversation with someone and just thank you in passing, I wouldn't interrupt to say "you're welcome"; rather, just nod. (If they're eating alone, a verbal response is less unexpected.)

I'm speaking as a Midwestern American, and restaurant etiquette varies regionally, so it would be helpful to know what country or region you're in to figure out what's most appropriate.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  11. ABBA Stanza Senior Member

Hessen, DE
    English (UK)
    "Of course" would be another possible response to a customer request in this context.

Cheers,
    Abba

12. Au101 Senior Member

London
    England, English (UK)
    Not at all, would also work, I think, but if we take a café scenario. may sound a little pretentious, so I'm afraid, once again, the environment in which you're working is everything.