another one's brother

< Previous | Next >

eunkum

Korean
Can I say "another one's brother" or "a fifth one's brother". There are five people (e,g, one, another one, another one.....a fifth one)

Five participants found out..... Of the five participants who found out...., one found out about .... another one’s brother ..... Another one’s brother.... . Another one's brother...... A fifth one’s brother ....

• Biffo

English - England
    I doesn't sound right. In fact I don't know what you mean.

Could you explain in different words? Does this relate to a crime scene? What is going on? What sort of things are people finding out about other people's brothers? - Their misdeeds?

eunkum

Korean
    Please see below.
    Five participants found out about their brothers’ drug problem. Of the five participants who found out
    about their brothers’ drug problem, one found out about her brother’s drug problem. Another one’s brother did drugs. Another one’s brother’s a drug addict...... A fifth one’s brother had a couple of opium.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I'm afraid that I have no idea what you mean either :confused:
    However I think that you must mean 'One brother...... another brother....... a third/another brother....'

eunkum

Korean
    There are five people (A,B,C,D, and E). I mean A's brother, B's brother, C's brother, D's brother and E's brother. Can I say B's brother as another one's brother, C's brother as another one's brother and E's brother as a fifth one's brother?

Bevj

English (U.K.)
    No, this makes no sense.
    And don't forget that all of them have four brothers so if you just say 'A's brother' it is not clear who you mean.

Let's try this:
    A has four brothers (there are 5 altogether).
    One brother is B
    Another brother is C (not 'another one's brother').

eunkum

Korean
    A, B, C, D, and E are not siblings. They are separate participants. I want to express 5 different people (A's brother=F, B's brother=G, C's brother=H, D's brother..) Thanks.

Bevj

English (U.K.)
    OK thank you, I misunderstood.
    In this context I think that you can say 'another one's brother', although of course like this it's not clear which person is being referred to.

Biffo

English - England
    Perhaps I can recap. I think you mean something like the following:

Five people met and discovered that each of them had a brother with an addiction.

One of their brothers was addicted to smoking, another one's brother was addicted to alcohol, another one's brother was addicted to gambling, another one's was addicted to opium and the fifth brother was addicted to mariajuana.

Is that it?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >