another or different

maque

Farsi
Say, I am a sales assosiate and my customer is not happy with a product. If I want to give him/her another product (the same type just another item, say, not broken), would I better say, "I can give you another book (cup, pen) or " I can give you a different book (cup, pen)?
Thanks in advance!

• candy-man

Polish/Poland
    Look, if you say: I can give you another book= one more.I´ve finished this book. Could you pass me another one,please? In truth, the word another doesn´t always imply a change in the quality of an object. On the other hand, if you decide to use different it is possible that you´re referring to something where such a change occurs.

Give me a different book,this one is tremendously boring.

Obviously, a native speaker´s intervention would be highly appreciated :)
    It´s that I need to get my mistakes corrected.

zaffy

Polish
    Say I borrowed a pen from someone and it doesn't work. Does either work? I guess 'different' works better, doesn't it?

Can you lend me another pen? This doesn't work.
    Can you lend me a different pen? This doesn't work.

abluter

British English
    You would only say "different" if you meant "different in kind." "Another" is sufficient for "of the same kind". Or you could say "can I offer you a replacement?", which always implies "of the same kind".

zaffy

Polish
    you would only say "different" if you meant "different in kind." "Another" is sufficient for "of the same kind".
    So which do I pick? I guess it doesn't matter if the pen will be of the same kind or different in kind. I just need a working pen.

zaffy

Polish
    Say some students are divided into three classrooms. The head teacher is looking for Tom. He comes into one of those classrooms and asks if Tom is there. The students reply that Tom is not there.

Tom is in a different classroom.
    Tom is another classroom.

Which do I pick?