Another satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy?

< Previous | Next >

Agito a42

Source: Spider-man (1994), an animated TV series.

New York. Spider-man spots a reckless driver from a skyscraper. It's a green van.
Spider-man: What's this?! Another satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy?

Could you explain what he means, please? It's very vague to me.

• Agito a42

Maybe he’s just being sarcastic?
    OK. He's being sarcastic. That's kind of obvious.

1) If it's a GREEN van, why in the world he says "graduate of cab driving academy"?
    2) I have no idea who "satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy" is, either. The way I see it, you either pass or fail your taxi driver exam. What does your satisfaction have to do with it? And (un)satisfied with what?

The pianist

English - US
    You don't understand humor or sarcasm. In this case "satisfied graduate" is a fixed phrase. Yes, you either pass or fail your exam, but what does that have to do with anything. It's a sarcastic criticism of New York City cab drivers is what it is. They are not known to be the most careful, or the most considerate drivers in the world. His manner of speaking is very common in AmE.

Agito a42

I'm afraid you explanation hasn't made it any clearer to me, the pianist. Please, define "satisfied graduate" and "satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I'm afraid you explanation hasn't made it any clearer to me, the pianist. Please, define "satisfied graduate" and "satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy".
    Satisfied is not the same as completed. You can eat your dinner (or not) and you can be satisfied (or not) with the meal. Same with graduating the (hypothetical) academy. The meanings of the words are not unclear, I hope - you said it was "obvious". It is the humour that is lost when something is explained.

Agito a42

My "obvious" is nothing but "I understand the fact that he is joking and being sarcastic". I did not say that I understand the joke/sarcasm itself.

Don't explain the joke, fine (if "it is the humour that is lost when something is explained"). Just provide the literal meaning.

So far, we only have this information:
    "New York City cab drivers are not known to be the most careful, or the most considerate drivers in the world."

You can eat your dinner (or not) and you can be satisfied (or not) with the meal. Same with graduating the (hypothetical) academy.
    Well, sorry, but it's not clear. Details, please. "Satisfied with the knowledge you acquired there"?

Agito a42

OOOK. Then since it's sarcasm,
    "another satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy"
    (most likely) =
    "another unsatisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy".

What are the consequences of being an unsatisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy? That newly-graduated taxicab driver would take it (his dissatisfaction with the academy's training, to be precise) out on other drivers on the streets of New York? Is that it?

lingobingo

English - England
    First of all, this is from the script of a superhero movie, so you can’t expect perfect English. The word satisfied in that remark does not make much sense and is not worth analysing. As Julian suggests, it’s probably an allusion to a “satisfied customer”.

Spiderman looks out of skyscraper window, sees really bad driver, makes unfunny joke about it.

His sarcastic remark:

Another satisfied graduate of the New York City cab driving academy?
    means, in effect:

That guy’s driving is so bad, I bet he was taught at the New York City cab driving academy!​

Agito a42

Finally! Was it really so hard to explain?

"That guy’s driving is so bad, I bet he was taught at the New York City cab driving academy!"
    "NY taxicab drivers are not known to be careful drivers."
    "A 'satisfied graduate of ...' probably an allusion to a 'satisfied customer'"

And that's all you needed to say.

Thank you, everyone.

< Previous | Next >