Another saying for "trash talk"

ILOVEZNZ

China,Mandarin
Hi,friends. I just wonder if I could find other words or phrases to replace "trash talk" so that I could ensure the statement not so aggressive.
Thanks in advance!:)

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Same here, never heard of it, although I assume this is something uncomplimentary. Is this similar to rubbishing something?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I know the expression only in the context of sports, especially U.S. basketball and football, the latter not to be confused with soccer. One player will say insulting things to another, usually in an attempt to get the other player angry or distracted from the game.
    The exchanges range from the mildly comical, "Your mudder wears army boots" sorts of things, to very specific statements about the size or intended use of body parts, the behaviour of relatives, and even the ocassional reference to the player's athletic ability, or lack thereof.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I hadn't come across it before I came to this thread.

Does it work as a verb? Is it possible to say "Don't trash talk me"? :confused:
    I've heard "talking trash" as the common verb form, as well as "trash talking".
    The Bosox were talking trash to Arod about his supposed hookup with Madonna.
    The Two Left Feet players are famous for trash talking, but not for scoring goals.

Talking trash to
    or talking trash at are the usual AE forms.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    "Badmouth" might work, or "talking down (an opponent/rival)".
    Another vote for "talk down".

Although I am sure Lord Cuchu is most certainly right (and a quick google search confirms that), I can almost swear that I just heard this not long ago "Don't you dare trash talk me!"

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    It seems that in some parts of the English speaking world, trash talking is not limited to the players themselves.

Olympics: Australian official accuses British swimmers of bad hygiene

After Rebecca Adlington's 400m freestyle gold set the tone for Britain in the pool here, John Coates, the head of the Australian Olympic Committee and an International Olympic Committee member since 2001, was asked for his thoughts. "It's not bad for a country that has no swimming pools and very little soap," he said.
    source

Grop

français
    no swimming pools and very little soap
    On the internet, as you already know, this would be called trolling.

(Teasing or taunting is what comes to my mind regarding sport trash talk).

ILOVEZNZ

China,Mandarin
    I didn't expect it to bring so much confusion.... Here is a responding passage:

Jerry Springer could easily be considered the king of "trash talk". The topics on his show are as shocking as shocking can be. For example, the show takes the ever - common talk show themes of love, sex, cheating, guilt, hate, conflict and morality to a different level. Clearly, the Jerry Springer show is a display and exploitation of society's moral catastrophes , yet people are willing to eat up the intriguing predicaments of other people's lives.

I suppose it shares the same meaning to "bullshit" here. As a result, I don't think "boasting" or "slander" is the suitable replacement. Glad to have your further attentions.:)

Grop

français
    I am not a TV expert, but still... don't Jerry Springer shows always end with people fighting? I suspect the meaning here is the same as in sport, although your context doesn't state it clearly.

(They are described here - people are indeed expected to fight).

JamesM

This is a different use of "trash talk" from the normal idiomatic use I am familiar with, ILOVEZNZ. I would call this "gutter talk" (although that has another possible meaning of foul-mouthed, obscene talk.) It is "digging up dirt" or "airing dirty laundry in public". I would characterize Jerry Springer as the television equivalent of tabloid journalism. This kind of "trash talk", from the context and the nature of his work, would be sensationalistic, exploitative, sometimes prurient grandstanding (not that I have a personal opinion on the show or its circus ringleader host, mind you. :) )

I suspect the writer is playing on the common phrase "trash talk" since the Jerry Springer Show is nominally in the "talk show" category (although I think "emotional freak show/boxing match" might be a category he has invented with his show) and that the contents are absolute trash. Listening to a man confess in front of his girlfriend to something like the fact that he has slept with three generations of her family and then reveal that he is leaving them all for his gay lover while Mr. Springer attempts to provoke a fistfight between the two by baiting them both from a safe distance in the audience and having the audience egg the two combatants on with chants of "Jer-RY! Jer-RY") is -- what? Is there a word or phrase for that?

"Trash talk" is by no means "aggressive" in its description of this national embarrassment. In my opinion. ;)

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In BE "hot-dogging" seems to be approximately = sledging (cricket term) where the opposition try to irritate a batsman into losing concentration by making personal remarks.

englishjasmin

Slavic
    You guys don't even know what is trash talk and you pretend to be able to advise others on English language and grammar? --- that's trash talk :)

Best definition I found is: In the course of a competitive situation putting down your opponent verbally or saying how good you think you are. (Source: link)

For example boxers often do trash talk ahead of the match, example: link. But it is not limited to boxing, it's related to any situation involving that is "trash talk".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You guys don't even know what is trash talk and you pretend to be able to advise others on English language and grammar? --- that's trash talk :)

[....]
    Just to explain: I understand this to be an example of 'trash talk', not an expression of englishjasmin's views. It contains two elements that characterize trash talk:

1) It is deliberately provocative.
    2) It is obviously inaccurate.

That is, this is an example of 'trash talk' because englishjasmin knows that it is outrageously inaccurate, and has confidence that participants in this forum will recognize it as such. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >