V52

Member Emeritus
Italy Italian
Hi! It's a long time...

I need a help about ma sentence
context : a mother complains against usual Christmas duties

" Christmas seems like another sugar – coated to-do on my already bloated list
"

Of course I got some ideas, but I'd like some suggestion. Thank you in advance..
V52

• V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Thank you...
    you are guessing that "sugar coated" means the italian "ciliegina sulla torta" (for our friends from overseas - the cherry on the top of the cake = the last straw)
    Mumble... mumble... I'm thinking...
    Maybe do we need some other hint ...?
    V52

Azazel81

Italy - Italian
    Non potrebbe andare qualcosa tipo "la ciliegina sulla torta delle innumerevoli cose che devo sbrigare". Ciao! :)
    Io ho sempre visto "sugar-coated" usato per intendere "addolcire la pillola", quindi quando si tratta di una situazione spiacevole che deve essere presa bene.

A me suona tipo: "Il Natale è un'altra/l'ennesima pillola addolcita (che devo sorbirmi) della lista già stracolma di cose da fare".

Natives.. what do you reckon?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Io ho sempre visto "sugar-coated" usato per intendere "addolcire la pillola", quindi quando si tratta di una situazione spiacevole che deve essere presa bene.

A me suona tipo: "Il Natale è un'altra/l'ennesima pillola addolcita (che devo sorbirmi) della lista già stracolma di cose da fare".

Natives.. what do you reckon?
    You've got the gist of it, Az. :)

'Sugar-coated' here means something that appears to be lovely and nice on the surface, but underneath it all is quite a different matter. Christmas appears to be such a wonderful and happy time on the surface, but what it really comes down to is a whole lot of stress and hard work.

Last edited:

V52

Member Emeritus
    Italy Italian
    Thank you All!
    It thought something like the solution that Charles pointed out!
    Thank you again
    V52

< Previous | Next >