Another thing was something like leading multiple women on online was...

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Source: Katie Roiphe On 'The Other Whisper Network'

<NPR's Scott Simon talks with author Katie Roiphe about her essay on the #MeToo movement in this month's Harper's Magazine. It's called "The Other Whisper Network.">
< SIMON just asked "I do understand women who say that it's less that they can't take a leer than they have well-based, experience-based concerns over where a leer can lead: >

ROIPHE: But I just think to put someone on a list for leering - to put that word on a list as an accusation is a pretty strong statement. This is a list being circulated in the business. This is a list meant to affect people's reputations and their careers. Another thing was something like leading multiple women on online was one of the charges on that list.
==
Hi everyone! How should I understand the bold part?
==
Hi everyone! Does the bold part mean "Another thing that was leading multiple women on online was one of the charges on that list."?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As I said elsewhere, I suspect that these transcripts are done by a speech to text program and then edited, but mistakes sometimes make their way through.

The other thing is that verbatim reports are usually quite strange to read - we all think we speak as we write, but nobody does.

I think that it might be
    Another thing (item on the list) was something like "leading on multiple women on online" [I think that] was one of the charges on that list.

To lead on -> to deceive; to encourage [someone to do something] - usually reprehensible or regrettable or, in this case, to encourage (often by deception) them to believe that you love them, that you are not married, that you are good-looking, wealthy, etc.

< Previous | Next >