Another version of offer a shoulder to lean on

nagomi

Korean
"Unless the older relatives in the family have been living in seclusion, with no magazines, tabloids, television and the Internet, I'm sure they realize that in the last 40 years some of the old rules have been retired. Among them: restrictions against large church weddings for longtime cohabiting couples and white dresses for non-virgin brides. Should any of the old folks show signs of shock, offer a shoulder for them to lean on. But don't be surprised if none of them is surprised at all."

I can imagine what "to offer a shoulder to lean on" is, but I want to learn the expression in which a person holds someone who's falling losing consciousness or being exhausted, or very shocked. How do you say it?

source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/koreatime_adminV2/LTNIE/common/printpreview.asp?nmode=3&idx=995&gotopage=117

• lingobingo

English - England
    That expression “offer a shoulder to lean on” is perfectly correct but comes across as a bit odd, since it’s so close to the idiom of giving someone “a shoulder to cry on”.

Propping up someone who’s in danger of fainting or collapsing is a different matter. I can’t think of a specific term for it – often it’s mostly a matter of “catching” them before they fall.

nagomi

Korean
    That expression “offer a shoulder to lean on” is perfectly correct but comes across as a bit odd, since it’s so close to the idiom of giving someone “a shoulder to cry on”.

Propping up someone who’s in danger of fainting or collapsing is a different matter. I can’t think of a specific term for it – often it’s mostly a matter of “catching” them before they fall.
    Do you just say "catch" then? ie) I caught him before as he collapsed.

lingobingo

English - England
    That’s just one possibility (without “as”), depending on the circumstances. But, as I said, I can’t think of a standard way of saying this.

< Previous | Next >