another word for water hydrant/water plug

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi. how are you?

Could anybody please help me recall the word I've been racking my brain to remember? I've kept seeing in the countries of the Commonwealth the sign that says 'ci ...,' 'cit ...,' or some such, supposedly, meaning 'water hydrant' or 'fire plug.' I'm pretty sure it starts with 'c' but can't remember the rest too well. Scanning my eyes through dictionary pages failed ....

Hiro

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    Cistern? Although I associate that with water stored to flush a toilet, it could be used in other water storage ways, I guess.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I wonder if you're thinking of 'standpipe'? In Britain the fire hydrants are all underground (not those famous curvy red US things), under an iron cover. To get water from them the emergency services need to open the cover and put a standpipe into them.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Cistern? Although I associate that with water stored to flush a toilet, it could be used in other water storage ways, I guess.
    That's the word, yes! But I've come to realize that it is not British English. It's universal English.
    It just means a different thing; it's a water reservoir that could be used for extinguishing fire.

I wonder if you're thinking of 'standpipe'? In Britain the fire hydrants are all underground (not those famous curvy red US things), under an iron cover. To get water from them the emergency services need to open the cover and put a standpipe into them.
    Standpipes. I took a look at pictures in Google. It looks as though you connect a fire hose to it to get water. Does it mean a different thing in the UK, a thing that is used to suck water up from a fire hydrant?

< Previous | Next >