Anounce or Declare a (thought / feeling / plan or decision)

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Dears
I have read the following links already, but unfortunately I did not discovered my needed information!
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2088402&p=13650704#post13650704
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1727219
If one wants to state their (decision / plan / feeling / though) publicly, they can use the verb announce or declare?
According to the Longman dictionary,

1) About a thought or feeling:
To declare --> to say publicly "what you think or feel"
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/declare --> The second definition

2) about a plan or a decision:
To announce --> to officially tell people about something, "especially about a plan or a decision"
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/announce --> The first definition

Therefor, in accordance with these information, I should use the verb "Announce" --for--> indicating my plans and decisions, and the verb "declare" --for--> indicating my thoughts and feelings!
how do you see this matter? :)

• rhitagawr

British English
    You can express a thought or a feeling.
    I can't express my thoughts in words.
    He has difficulty expressing his feelings
    I don't mind David's political opinions. It's just the arrogant way he expresses them.

Announce is good with decision or plan. The goverment announced it's decision to raise taxes. There are also railway announcements. The 12:45 to Plymouth hasn't been announced yet.
    One of the websites gave as another example something like You announce yourself to reception when you are visiting a building. I disagree with that. Perhaps it's AE. I'd say I reported to reception.

Declare can imply a (legal) judgement.
    The import of alcohol has been declared illegal.
    This food has been declared unfit for human consumption.
    Declare
    often refers to the opening of meetings, conferences, fairs, and other events. The chairman declared the meeting open.
    Declare is also used in cricket. Australia declared and put England in to bat - the Australians decided they had scored enough runs.
    You can declare your intention. This sounds slightly more rhetorical than announce to me. Peter and Gillian announced their intention to get married sounds, to me at least, more neutral and formal in tone that Peter...declared their... They would put an announcement and not a declaration in the newspaper.
    One country can declare war on another.

Last edited:

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    You can express a thought or a feeling.
    I can't express my thoughts in words.
    He has difficulty expressing his feelings
    I don't mind David's political opinions. It's just the arrogant way he expresses them.

Announce is good with decision or plan. The goverment announced it's decision to raise taxes. There are also railway announcements. The 12:45 to Plymouth hasn't been announced yet.
    One of the websites gave as another example something like You announce yourself to reception when you are visiting a building. I disagree with that. Perhaps it's AE. I'd say I reported to reception.

Declare can imply a (legal) judgement.
    The import of alcohol has been declared illegal.
    This food has been declared unfit for human consumption.
    Declare
    often refers to the opening of meetings, conferences, fairs, and other events. The chairman declared the meeting open.
    Declare is also used in cricket. Australia declared and put England in to bat - the Australians decided they had scored enough runs.
    You can declare your intention. This sounds slightly more rhetorical than announce to me. Peter and Gillian announced their intention to get married sounds, to me at least, more neutral and formal in tone that Peter...declared their... They would put an announcement and not a declaration in the newspaper.
    One country can declare war on another.
    Thanks a zillion dear Rhitagawr
    but in your first-four examples, I think either the verb "state" and "express" can work well and in such concepts they seem always can be used interchangeably! Is it right? :)

rhitagawr

British English
    You needn't call me dear Rhitagawr. Just Rhitagawr will do. But thanks anyway. I wouldn't say that state and express were interchangeable. I always say there are no synonyms in English. State is less emotional than express. It has an idea of merely uttering the words.
    If I express my anger, I raise my voice, bang my fist on the table etc. If I state my feelings, I simply say I'm angry. Personally I'd be more likely to say express than state.
    Refusing to give Jackie a lift was John's way of expressing his dislike of her.
    You can also express your thanks. You can't state your anger.
    You could say The government stated its intention to raise taxes. In formal parliamentary language, you'd say The Chancellor will make a statement (and not an announcement) in the House tomorrow.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    A-friend. Unfortunately this kind of discussion is not well-suited to the forum. We need context and a specific sentence to explain a question about the choice of words in that context. A general discussion, without specific contexts, of when one word might be used and another one not used becomes unfocused rapidly: you started with "announce/declare" but then started asking about "state/express".

Please provide a specific sentence in which you need help on the choice between "announce" and "declare" (and save "express/state" for a separate thread).

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    A-friend. Unfortunately this kind of discussion is not well-suited to the forum. We need context and a specific sentence to explain a question about the choice of words in that context. A general discussion, without specific contexts, of when one word might be used and another one not used becomes unfocused rapidly: you started with "announce/declare" but then started asking about "state/express".

Please provide a specific sentence in which you need help on the choice between "announce" and "declare" (and save "express/state" for a separate thread).
    Excuse me; I just found it a little relevant with the topic. But rhitagawr's words were very informative; thanks for your notification again :)

< Previous | Next >