ansprechen als etwas, schließen auf etwas

< Previous | Next >

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
I'm a little confuse with this use of the verbs:

"Nun aber hat die Physik, die die entferntesten Sinnesdaten materialisiert hat, die allernächsten entmaterialisiert, fast vergeistigt. Die beiden Empfindungen des ehemaligen Tastsinns brauchen ihre Ursachen oder ihre Ursache nicht mehr als Stoffe anzusprechen. Wärmesinn und (sagen wir) Körpersinn läßt nur noch auf Energien schließen, nicht auf Stoffe" (Mauthner)

"We no longer need to refer to matter/stuff the causes or the cause of the two sensations of the old sense of touch. Sense of temperatur ... can only be atributted to energies, not to materials"

How close am I?

• manfy

German - Austria
    "We no longer need to refer to matter/stuff as the causes or the cause of the two sensations of the old definition of 'sense of touch'. Sense of temperatur and (let's call it) "sense of objects" can now only be attributed to energies, not to materials"

How close am I?
    Sounds quite good. (I inserted some 'little words' for clarity... and other little reasons ;) )
    I'm not sure about "Körpersinn". And I'm not too sure about 'attribute' here for 'auf etwas schließen'. Maybe "now they allow us only to deduce (the presence of) energies, but not materials" is semantically closer.

bearded

I don't know how literally you want to translate, LF, but you are certainly aware that the original says ''the two sensations....no longer need to refer/attribute their cause(s) to 'matter'...
    The subject is 'the two sensations', not 'we' as you write (but probably you wanted to translate in a somewhat explanatory way....?).

manfy

German - Austria
    You're right! But also in the German version it's just rhetoric and "anzusprechen" is used in a figurative sense to the subject 'the 2 sensations'.

Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
    I don't know how literally you want to translate, LF, but you are certainly aware that the original says ''the two sensations....no longer need to refer/attribute their cause(s) to 'matter'...
    The subject is 'the two sensations', not 'we' as you write (but probably you wanted to translate in a somewhat explanatory way....?).
    You're right! But also in the German version it's just rhetoric and "anzusprechen" is used in a figurative sense to the subject 'the 2 sensations'.
    Yes, I just hadn't find a good figurative expression in Portuguese yet, but I intend to.

manfy

German - Austria
    Sometimes different phrasing can make a subtle but real semantic difference in the sentence, and sometimes it can be a negligible difference in the sentence, yet a significant one within the surrounding context.
    Neither seemed to be the case for the sentences in the OP, so you don't have to try too hard to match this form in Portuguese.

< Previous | Next >