Anstatt / statt

archibaldworthington

American English
„Anstatt eines Bieres trinkt er eine Cola, denn er muss sich konzentrieren.”

Are anstatt and statt interchangeable? Does the above sentence work? „Statt” is used in the answer key. I can't seem to find anyone anywhere on the internet saying that the words are anything other than interchangeable.

• Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    statt is the shortened form of anstatt. Interchangeability, very strictly speaking, never exists in the full sense of the word as there's always at least a tiny little difference between any two words of a language. anstatt is a slightly higher register of speech.

eines Bieres is the unnecessary countable use. ein Bier means one glass (or perhaps one bottle, depending on drinking habits ;)). The substance as such is not countable. The same applies to eine Cola. You may or may not insist on referring to exactly one glass. I wouldn’t.

It's correct but unnecessarily formal to say

Anstatt Bier(e)s trinkt er Cola, denn er muss sich konzentrieren.

I wouldn't use (an)statt as a preposition here but as a conjunction, with zu trinken being elliptical (omitted):

Anstatt Bier (zu trinken) trinkt er Cola, denn er muss sich konzentrieren.

Anstatt Bier trinkt er Cola, denn er muss sich konzentrieren.

Plus, I'd say statt, given what I said about register. statt is good enough:

Statt Bier trinkt er Cola, denn er muss sich konzentrieren.

Last edited:

Glockenblume

Deutsch (Hochdeutsch und "Frängisch")
    I agree with Schimmelreiter. There's only one little point which would like to formulate a little bit differently:
    anstatt is generally used in a slightly higher register of speech (but more often in formal than in poetic texts), whereas statt is used in different registers.

Interchangeability, very strictly speaking, never exists in the full sense of the word as there's always at least a tiny little difference between any two words of a language.
    Yes, that's my opinion, too.
    Generally spoken, when you have the choice between two words with the same sense, the longer is often - but not always - more stressed than the short one.
    anstatt stresses more the logical relation: so it fits better to administrative etc. texts than to poetic texts where you want to stress the sensation and feelings.

< Previous | Next >