Ante la Union Europea

MazzaC

English
This is the title of a section from a news bulletin about an organisation's advocacy work. I am not sure of the use of 'ante' in this particular context.

The full title reads:
PROCESOS DE INCIDENCIA POLITICA ANTE LA UNION EUROPEA

And my attempt:

POLICITAL ADVOCACY AND THE EUROPEAN UNION

Any suggestions on how to formulate this title would be very helpful. I'm not sure that my translation is close enough to the Spanish.

Many thanks

• gengo

American English
    If it is advocacy, I think it would be "within" the EU. Your translation is more ambiguous than the original, and includes things that the original does not.

However, I think incidencia here is closer to influence.

Processes of political influence within the European Union.

Hope that helps.

juandiego

Spanish from Spain
    Hi MazzaC.
    It's difficult to know just from that title what it's exactly trying to transmit. I interpret it as the processes that cause a political effect in the European Union. Perhaps a bit more context on those processes would help us to comprehend what on earth is all that about.

MazzaC

English
    Thank you both for your advice and suggestions.
    I don't have a lot of background to the organisation that has produced the newsletter - it is a partner of a charity I do some voluntary translation for. As far as I know, the organisation works to influence EC development cooperation strategies with Central America. Its focus is on human rights, democracy, governance, civil society participation, etc.
    With this in mind, perhaps "Political advocacy in the EU" is closer to the original?

juandiego

Spanish from Spain
    Thank you both for your advice and suggestions.
    I don't have a lot of background to the organisation that has produced the newsletter - it is a partner of a charity I do some voluntary translation for. As far as I know, the organisation works to influence EC development cooperation strategies with Central America. Its focus is on human rights, democracy, governance, civil society participation, etc.
    With this in mind, perhaps "Political advocacy in the EU" is closer to the original?
    You are welcome.

Maybe you are right and even that's more accurate. The problem is that we cannot infer from the Spanish title anything related to the advocacy of something, just that those processes would cause an effect, prompt a response, or even only to be borne in mind by the EU.

Perhaps gengo's suggestion is more on the safe side.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >