antefirma

Tauromaja

English - American
I'm translating a legal document and in the footnote of all the pages there are two lines, in front of which is the word "Antefirma".

What would be the translation for this?

Thanks!

• pachanga7

English - US
    I don't know, the WR dictionary says title (before a signature) or closing (of a letter) but that doesn't make sense in a footnote.

On the other hand it also apparently can refer to the address, company and position of the person who signs, which information comes before the signature in Spanish-language letters, if there is no letterhead. Perhaps the pages are all marked at the bottom with company information? In that case you could probably just leave it out and put the company information as it appears.

Tauromaja

English - American
    I ended up leaving it as "signature" seeing as that the only other information in the footnote was the name of the contract, the date and page what of what.

Thanks very much anyway!

AreMe

Español mexicano
    Hola, tengo la misma pregunta que Tauromaja. Si me pueden ayudar, por favor.
    Escribo una carta con instrucciones, en donde la persona debe firmar la última hoja del contrato y poner su antefirma en las demás hojas del contrato.

...After receiving the work contract, you have to (poner su antefirma) in the first pages and your full signature in the last one, in the space were your name is printed...

Last edited by a moderator:

uvrockgod

English - UK
    Hi, everyone. Although it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing, "Initial" serves the same purpose in contracts in English ... Initial each page, and sign and print your name on the last page. For instance, I would put BAE or BE on every page, and then sign the last one.

The reason I say it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing is that the contract I'm currently translating has this system implemented, but rather than a discernible set of initials, the "antefirma" on each page, and reproduced next to the signatures, is just a squiggle.

Could we say "Abridged signature" or something like that?
    You do talk about "signing your X", "putting your X to something", but that's a throwback to the days when the illiterate populace genuinely couldn't write their own names, so I don't think it applies here.

Any suggestions gratefully received – both by me for my current project (still some way to go) and by everyone who's foxed by this in the future....
    Cheers!
    BAE

MARIA MATILDE GARCIA

Spanish
    Antefirma in Mexico is like a fast signature used when you are not using the final one. Sometimes when it has to do with large documents or still drafts.