Anteroom

sibu

Our home has a small (closed) 1.5m2 anteroom with one window and two glass doors. I assume that you wouldn't really call this a porch. The idea is that you step into it, close the outer entrance door behind you when it's windy or rainy, then open the inner entrance door to step into the house. Is there a specific word for this in English?

Attachments

Last edited:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I would actually call that a "porch". It might possibly be termed a small entrance hall, but it's not an anteroom. :)

Andygc

British English
    Another BE vote for "porch". As it says in the BE part of the Wordreference dictionary
    a low structure projecting from the doorway of a house and forming a covered entrance
    "Enclosed porch" if you want to be precise, because many porches are not enclosed.

PS "Vestibule" is an alternative, but that's not much used these days.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Since it appears to stick out from the front of the house, I'd call it an enclosed porch, an entryway, or (jokingly) an airlock. If the outer door were actually in the front wall of the house, I wouldn't call it a porch.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think anteroom or antechamber is technically correct, but it isn't usually used in this way in popular speech.

You might want to have a look a Wikipedia on vestibule which mentions the terms that others have above (entrance hall, porch, mud room etc).

Andygc

British English
    Since it appears to stick out from the front of the house
    :thumbsup:
    If the outer door were actually in the front wall of the house, I wouldn't call it a porch.
    :thumbsup:
    or (jokingly) an airlock
    As my father called the short lobby/passage with a door each end forming the back entrance to our kitchen - my mother was a keen bread-maker and when the dough was rising there'd be a cry of "shut the airlock!"

< Previous | Next >