anticipent - misericordia

voltape

Peruvian Spanish/USA English
"Cito anticipent nos misericordia tua, Domine,+ quia pauperes facti sumus nimis, * adiuva nos, Deus salutaris noster. [Ps 78:8b-9a]"
I have been reading the "Laus Angelorum Magna" prayed at the ending of Matins in the Ambrosian Rite. Is "Cito anticipent nos misericordia tua" OK? Misericordia tua is singular whilst "anticipent" is plural. Thanks.

• Scholiast

saluete omnes!

bearded is quite right about the inconcinnity of anticipent* misericordia tua. The grammatically correct singular anticipet is quoted in a Life of St John in Migne's Patrologia Latina here, and I imagine elsewhere too. The anomaly may be partly explained by the fact that the Vulgate has misericordiae tuae—though with a different verb (occupent).

Σ

voltape

Peruvian Spanish/USA English
    Ps 78, 8 ne memineris iniquitatum nostrarum antiquarum cito anticipent nos misericordiae tuae quia pauperes facti sumus nimis - As the Laus Angelorum Magna quotes Ps 78,8, I looked it up in the Latin Vulgata, and that's what I got. Obviously, there have been a couple of typos in the "Laus"that I was reading. Misericordiae tuae. Thank you to all - Questo mi fa felice! voule dire che il mio latino va migliorando. Mia madrelingua è lo spagnolo. Quale lingua potrò imparare più presto? il latino o l'intaliano? Grazie a tutti!

francisgranada

Hungarian
    Mia madrelingua è lo spagnolo. Quale lingua potrò imparare più presto? il latino o l'intaliano? Grazie a tutti!
    Essendo d'accordo con bearded (the previous post #5), aggiungo che più lingue romanze conosci, più facile è comprendere il latino. Almeno è questa la mia esperienza, da non madrelingua né italiano né spagnolo (né latino :)) ....

Question: I suppose the infinive of anticipent/anticipet is anticipare. Did in (classical) Latin exist the verb anticipere (like incipere, concipere, etc ...) ?

Scholiast

saluete amici omnes!

francisgranada poses an interesting question. My OLD has lemmata for both (a) antecipio, -ere, following the mixed conjugation system; and (b) anticipo, -are, first conjugation, with respectable authors referenced for both. But it marks (a) as transitive, and (b) as intransitive.

I'm not enough of an historical philologist to know what to make of this.

Σ