Antiguo/Viejo

Windwalker

English - USA (west coast)
I've been using Rosetta Stone Spanish (Latin America), and I'm unclear on the difference between antiguo and viejo.

According to this site's dictionary, viejo can be used to describe people, but antiguo can't. Antiguo can describe cities and places, but viejo can't?

However, when it comes to things, I don't know when to use one or the other. For example, the Rosetta Stone program says "joya antigua" and then "televisor viejo". They're both just things, why the difference? Is it a question of value (antiguo for more expensive things)?

• Lindelea

Spanish - Venezuela
    Well, I think Antiguo must be used only for things, but Viejo can be used for people and also for things..

Ex:

Es un carro viejo = es un carro antiguo
    Es una ciudad vieja = es una ciudad antigua

Miguel Antonio

Galego (Rías Baixas)
    I've been using Rosetta Stone Spanish (Latin America), and I'm unclear on the difference between antiguo and viejo.

According to this site's dictionary, viejo can be used to describe people, but antiguo can't. Antiguo can describe cities and places, but viejo can't?

However, when it comes to things, I don't know when to use one or the other. For example, the Rosetta Stone program says "joya antigua" and then "televisor viejo". They're both just things, why the difference? Is it a question of value (antiguo for more expensive things)?
    You could say it is some sort of emotional value, antiguo being something antique or ancient, whereas viejo would be old as in no longer useful.
    That is why it is not very correct politically to call a person viejo, but rather mayor. If you say a person is antigua, anticuada you are implying they are old fashioned or have obsolete mindsets, for instance.
    Coche antiguo: a vintage car
    Coche viejo: an old car

Hope this helps

MA

Last edited:

JKL2008

Spain, spanish
    Se puede usar "antiguo" referido a personas, para referirse a la Edad Anticua.
    Por ejemplo, "los antiguos romanos", que no es lo mismo que "los romanos viejos" o "los viejos romanos".

Windwalker

English - USA (west coast)
    You could say it is some sort of emotional value, antiguo being something antique or ancient, whereas viejo would be old as in no longer useful.
    That is why it is not very correct politically to call a person viejo, but rather mayor. If you say a person is antigua, anticuada you are implying they are old fashioned or have obsolete mindsets, for instance.
    Coche antiguo: a vintage car
    Coche viejo: an old car

Hope this helps

MA

Ah, vintage! Even though it's probably not a perfect translation, that seems to be a good way to conceptualize it, muchas gracias!

Also, does it ever make sense to say that something is both viejo AND antiguo?

Este carro es viejo y antiguo.

No?

grubb-z

US English
    Ah, vintage! Even though it's probably not a perfect translation, that seems to be a good way to conceptualize it, muchas gracias!

Also, does it ever make sense to say that something is both viejo AND antiguo?

Este carro es viejo y antiguo.

No?

I don't think so. That would be redundant in the same way that saying something is an "old antique" would be. e.g., the old, antique car. Saying a car is an antique implies that it's old by definition.