Antipurism

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Red Arrow :D, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    A drawing pin is called punaise in French and Dutch. In Flanders, the word duimspijker (literally "thumb tack") has become Standard Belgian Dutch. Many people use it as a synonym for punaise.

Some purists consider the word duimspijker to be "wrong". They say duimspijker was invented just to ban French words from the Dutch language. These type of purists are known as antipurists. Purists who are against commonly used purisms.

Any other examples in other languages?

2. Dymn

Dymn Senior Member

Catalonia
    Catalan (native) & Castilian
    I think something similar in Catalan would be the word for "ticket office". Some people use taquilla, which comes from Spanish, others prefer guixeta, from French guichet. Apparently the official dictionary only accepts taquilla and some style guides specifically proscribe guixeta. Of course guixeta is not a "pure" word but due to the Catalan sociolinguistic situation some may argue people see it as a way to distinguish themselves from Spanish.

3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Greek has a long history of diglossia, and a long lasting stuggle between purists and antipurists, Wiki has a decent article on the Greek language question of the previous two centuries.
    Long story short, many words considered standard in the MoGr of today, some 100-150 years ago were abhorred by purists. e.g:

-SMG (Standard MoGr) «στέρνα» [ˈster.na] (fem.) --> cistern < Byz. Gr. «κι(ν)στέρνα» ki(n)stérna (fem.) < Lat. cisterna = Katharevousa Greek «ὀμβροδέκτης» [ɔm.vrɔˈðek.tis] (masc.) < Classical masc. noun «ὄμβρος» ómbrŏs + Classical masc. «δέκτης» déktēs.

-SMG «ομπρέλα» [ɔmˈbre.la] (fem.) --> umbrella < It. ombrella = Katharevousa Gr «ἀλεξιβρόχιον» [a.le.k͜siˈvrɔ.çi.ɔn] (neut.) < Classical v. «ἀλέξω» ălék͜sō + «βροχή» brŏkʰḗ.

-SMG «ζάρι, -ρια [ˈza.ɾi] (neut. nom. sing.), [ˈza.ɾʲa] (neut. nom. pl.) --> dice, aphetism of Byz. Gr. «ἀζάριον» azárion < Αr. زهر (az-zahr), dice = Katharevousa Gr «κυβεῖον, -εῖα» [ciˈvi.ɔn] (neut. nom. sing.), [ciˈvi.a] (neut. nom. pl.) < Classical masc. «κύβος» kúbŏs.

Most purist words became obsolete and were naturally discarded from the language, because they're stilted and absurd.
    Some purist words however prevailed and are now part of SMG lexicon.

Let me add that the conflict between purists and antipurists is nothing new in Greek, in Classical Athens the conflict between the comedian Aristophanes and the tragedian Aeschylus was notorious.
    Aeschylus accused Aristophanes of the usage of the "pure" earlier form of dative plural ending «-οισι(ν)» -οi̯si(n) in his writings, instead of the contemporary ending «-οις» -oi̯s (eg: Aristophanes = «τοῖς ἀνθρώποισι(ν)» toî̯s ăntʰrṓpoi̯si(n) instead of the prevalent «τοῖς ἀνθρῶποις» toî̯s ăntʰrôpoi̯s --> to the men). Aeschylus accused Aristophanes of purism (!!!) while he in his tragedies uses Doric in his choruses (a dialect no-one in Athens spoke).
    In Greek it's «πινέζα» [piˈne.za] (fem.) too < Fr. punaise. In the purist language (Katharevousa) it's «άκανθἰας» [a.kanˈθi.as] (masc.) < Classical fem. «ἄκανθᾱ» ắkantʰā, a word that never caught on.

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    BTW: I can appreciate concern about the invasion/ penetration of English into languages, but it is so funny/ strange/... to try to introduce "breinstoei" as a neologism for "brainstorm", as I heard someone do. In this case there was an ideological motive.Yet, in the meantime, Flemish youngsters and even more Dutch youngsters, I think,have come to replace so many simple Dutch words by English words (including f..., sh..., oh my God, etc.). But this might be a topic for the Café...