Antique clock build when peace filled.......

< Previous | Next >

MNHID

Bengali
What does the bold line mean?

''Wish I could talk to her. Half an hour would be plenty: just ask her about herself, tell her about myself, and - what I’d really like to do - explain to her the complexities of fate that have led to our passing each other on a side street in Harajuku on a beautiful April morning in 1981. This was something sure to be crammed full of warm secrets, like an antique clock build when peace filled the world.''

• MNHID

Bengali
    For a start, 'build' is probably a mistake for past participle 'built': a clock (which was) built/made when . . .
    Could you please tell me what that sentence mean? I don't understand what an antique clock has to do with peace filling the world. Is that a cultural reference?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'd say that the only sort of clock that is large enough to be "crammed full of" anything is a grandfather clock. They are antiques that belong to a more peaceful age, before the two wars that shattered the world.

Please give the source of the piece.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    First, Murakami writes in Japanese so this is a translation. Second, he is just a very quirky writer. He has quirky plots with elements of magic realism and he uses unusual images and descriptions.

The reference to the clock is obviously a metaphor, but reading this I am unclear on what "this was something sure to be crammed full" refers to.

The street? The conversation? The complexities of fate?

< Previous | Next >