antique(s) shop in AmE

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

I've always known this kind of shop as an "antiques shop" in AmE, and yet looking in the COCA corpus I see a similar number of results for the (BrE) version "antique shop." Is it a regional thing, then, in the US?

I look forward to your answers! Thank you!

• Myridon

English - US
    Even in AmE, "antique shop" is the common term in my experience.
    Google Ngram Viewer
    Perhaps the fact that antique shops often have a sign that says "Antiques" is confusing - "John's Antiques is the name of an antique shop."

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    My observation is that as a non-native speaker, the more proficient you're in English, the more likely you're to make the mistake of using a plural noun adjectivally. :eek: You read in basic grammars that nouns used adjectivally, just before other nouns, are not pluralized, and you're happy :) to learn that. But then you learn from advanced grammars, or realize by your observation, that sometimes we do pluralize nouns used adjectivally:oops: (e.g. communications manager) and you tend to get confused all the time. :eek::( And the fact that sometimes even native English speakers have different opinions on the pluralization of certain nouns used adjectivally further aggravates the condition.

susanna76

Romanian
    :) Thanks, Englishmypassion! It's true that the more you're exposed to, the trickier some rules get sometimes :)

< Previous | Next >