antique shop (in AE)

ewie

English English
Possibly a stupid question. What would American folks call an establishment where they buy antiques: antique shop, antique store, or something else?

For some reason antique store doesn't feel quite right to me. I know that the word shop is used in AE, and was wondering if this would be one of those occasions.

~ewie

• pob14

American English
    In my usage at least, a "shop" tends to be a small, independent place that sells one kind of thing - a yarn shop, a magic shop, or indeed an antique shop. A "store" is either large or more general - Wal*Mart is certainly a store - or, perhaps oddly, anyplace that sells groceries.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    But there are no stupid questions, ewie! :)
    I'd say that 'antique store' is used quite frequently, as is 'antique shop'. I agree with pob14 that 'shop' tends to be used about a smaller place, (as evidenced by creative names like Jan's Antique Shop, etc.) At the opposite end of the size spectrum we've got the antique malls...

Bic.

ewie

English English
    Thanks folks:) I noticed that in Rover's link both antique shop and antique store were used, so I decided to go for that option:)

< Previous | Next >