1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

antonym of "fix" (means fasten)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Leaellyn, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Leaellyn New Member

Japan
    Japanese
    Hello.
    How can I describe the opposite operation of this:
    "to fix the vertices of object A (to somewhere)" ?

The image of what I want to describe is like
    "to release the vertices",
    "to cancel fixing", or
    "to return the fixed vertices to non-fixed vertices"
    but I'm not sure whether these expressions are natural or not.

I am afraid the question is technical, because the expression was found in a manual of 3D editing software, in which I couldn't find any good antonym of "fix" in this meaning.

Thanks in advance.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Perhaps unfix -- it may not be a word we would use in conversation, but in a technical manual it matches nicely with fix to get the meaning across quickly and unambiguously. Otherwise, there's detach (which I'm not liking overly much). :)

Edit: Thinking again, we probably would use it in conversation.

3. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Though it's not a very common word, "unfix" would work well in the context. Here's a definition from M-W: 1 : to loosen from a fastening : detach from something that holds

"unfix." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.

4. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

Chino, California
    English, AE
    I think the word should read affix, "to affix the vertices of object A" (not fix) and its antonym is "detach" or "remove", or undo, unfasten, unhook

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  5. Leaellyn New Member

Japan
    Japanese
    Thanks a lot!
    I didn't think up "unfix", but it seems understandable and apposite in this situation.
    You are a big help.

P.S.
    Thank you for your advice, pops91710. I'll supplement it with some pictures.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011