antonym of "fix" (means fasten)


New Member
How can I describe the opposite operation of this:
"to fix the vertices of object A (to somewhere)" ?

The image of what I want to describe is like
"to release the vertices",
"to cancel fixing", or
"to return the fixed vertices to non-fixed vertices"
but I'm not sure whether these expressions are natural or not.

I am afraid the question is technical, because the expression was found in a manual of 3D editing software, in which I couldn't find any good antonym of "fix" in this meaning.

Thanks in advance.
  • Copyright

    Senior Member
    American English
    Perhaps unfix -- it may not be a word we would use in conversation, but in a technical manual it matches nicely with fix to get the meaning across quickly and unambiguously. Otherwise, there's detach (which I'm not liking overly much). :)

    Edit: Thinking again, we probably would use it in conversation.


    Senior Member
    Though it's not a very common word, "unfix" would work well in the context. Here's a definition from M-W: 1 : to loosen from a fastening : detach from something that holds

    "unfix." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.


    New Member
    Thanks a lot!
    I didn't think up "unfix", but it seems understandable and apposite in this situation.
    You are a big help.

    Thank you for your advice, pops91710. I'll supplement it with some pictures.
    Last edited: