Antonym of "sleep in"

LQZ

Mandarin
Dear all,

I came across "sleep in" while reading an article on the Wall Street Journal, ending up finding it means to sleep past the time when you usually get up (M-W's learner's dicitionary). I am curious to know whether there is an antonym to express somebody gets up early than he usually does without any special reason. May I have your help? Thanks.

LQZ

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'm not sure those are exactly antonyms. Sleeping in is a one-time or an occasional activity, staying in bed past one's usual time. The suggested antonyms (or at least nos. 1, 2 and 4) describe a person who habitually gets up early, not the activity of getting up earlier than usual once or a few times. And #3 describes getting up early, but without reference to when that person usually gets up, so we don't know that it's earlier than usual.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better idea. I'm not sure an expression for that exists. I'd say "I got up earlier than usual this morning." (As it happens, I really did.)

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I agree Egmont.
    In fact, that's exactly what my post was about, but then I saw the MW suggestion and repeated references to "usually" and realised I shouldn't have gone off my first instinct of what 'sleep in' means, which seems to be the same as yours. I said I disagreed with all previous suggestions as an antonym to 'sleep in', but when re-reading the first post the idea of habitually waking up early did come across, which suddenly made all the other suggestions a lot more acceptable, although still not antonyms of 'sleep in' (for the reasons you've mentioned).

papakapp

English - NW US
    Just for the record, I interpreted
    "...there is an antonym to express somebody gets up early than he usually does without any special reason. May I have your help?"
    as
    "...there is an antonymic adjective to express somebody gets up early than he usually does without any special reason. May I have your help?"

But I agree, I can't think of a colloquial antonym for "sleep in" except perhaps "rose early".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Possibly the sentence in which you saw "sleep in" would help us understand what the opposite would be. :)

< Previous | Next >