antonym to the word "to accustom"

MateuszMoś

Hello, can you think of any one word which would be an antonym to the word "to accustom". I can think of: to break the habit of; unfortunately, to my chagrin, it is a pretty long phrase. Additionally, "to break the habit of" does not necessarily indicate/have the opposite meaning to"to accustom".
I would like you to share your opinions and make me get on the right track.

• Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    to wean somebody off something
    ​to wean somebody from something

might be seen as the antonym of

​to accustom somebody to something

ME GRIMLOCK

English -- Amrrrrrrcan
    Unfamiliarize may be your best bet. Familiarize is definitely a word, as is unfamiliar; Unfamiliarize probably wouldn't be in most dictionaries, but everyone would know what it means. Dishabituate is another option, but this would sound stranger to the typical native speaker.

There may be something else that's better for your context—quit, kick, drop, avoid—, so it's best to have a sentence so we have some idea if it's about being accustomed to taking drugs or wearing a hat or African culture or whatever.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    Can you really unfamiliarize somebody from (?) something? Sounds like uninventing something. Hence my suggestion in #2.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    What we need from you, Mateusz, is an example of a complete sentence in which you want to use this antonym. Or preferably several examples.
    We tend not to use the actual verb "to accustom" as much as its adjectival participle (to grow or become or be accustomed to something).
    An alternative to an antonym might be to negate the context: To grow accustomed to not doing or not having something.

MateuszMoś

I am meant to learn the antonym itself from you, for I have no particular urgency of using the antonym.
    I am accustomed to holding only one hand on a steering wheel. What would you say if you wanted to change it and employ the method of putting two hands; having recourse to the antonym of the "to accustom".

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I am meant to learn the antonym itself from you, for I have no particular urgency of using the antonym.
    I know. But we need to be inspired by your intended context if we are to think of a suitable word. Suppose the antonym is X. Can you give us a sentence in which X appears the way you want to use it?
    I am accustomed to holding only one hand on a steering wheel. What would you say if you wanted to change it and employ the method of putting two hands; having recourse to the antonym of the "to accustom".
    OK, in that case we would, I think, prefer a positive approach, and say "I must try to get accustomed to using both hands". Even if we wanted to use a negative approach, we would not necessarily look for an antonym, but try to incorporate the negative in another way, for example: "I must try to stop steering with just one hand".

< Previous | Next >