any additional methods you want to assist you

Julianus

Korean
Hello.

1a. Another group of students watched a video about physics after being told, “This presents only one of several outlooks on physics. Please feel free to use any additional methods you want to assist you in solving the problems.” (Korean university entrance exam)

I think that 'Please feel free to use any additional methods you want to assist you in solving the problems' is originated from the following two sentences.

2a. Please feel free to use any additional methods. b. You want any additional methods to assist you in sloving the problems.

If so, I think that 'to assist you in solving the problems' modifies 'any additional methods' in 2b. Then, does 'to assist you in solving the problems' still modify 'any additional methods' and does also 'you want' modify 'any additional methods' in 1(a)? In other words, how should I understand the relation between 'any additional methods' and 'to assist you in solving the problems' in 1(a)? is there any possibility that 'to assist you in solving the problems' means only 'so as to/in order to assist you in solving the problems'?

Thank you always~.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, 2b is not (quite) a component of the meaning. The object of 'use' is 'any additional methods you want', where 'you want' is a relative clause whose absent object would be the methods. You could expand the meaning to "you want to use". But in the original sentence, the words 'want' and 'to' are not connected: you don't want to assist anything. The clause beginning 'to assist' expresses purpose. You are being invited to use any additional methods for the purpose of assisting you . . .

To assist you in solving the problems, feel free to use any additional methods you want.

Julianus

Korean
    It's simply an elision; "feel free to use any additional methods [that] you want [to use] . . . "
    What I want to know is about the meaning and the usage of 'to assist'.

3a. Please feel free to use any additional methods you want to assist you in solving the problems. b. Please feel free to use any additional methods you want in order to assist you in solving the problems.

Do these two sentences have the same meaning?

< Previous | Next >