Any changes in Written German since the 30's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miloxydia

English-America
I picked up a postcard a few days ago sent from 1937 Berlin. Pretty certain it's German, but the few people I've asked have told me they can't read it. Makes me wonder if it's possible that written german has changed? Short message, but I recognize tief there which makes me believe it is German. More curious about changes in written German than a translation at this point, but a Translation would be nice also.

For reference (and possible translation) here's the photo.
(too large to upload here, http://imgur.com/I90Uppy )

Thanks in advance!

• Miloxydia

English-America
    It doesn't seem likely, the Address is written in English and their N's and the written W there is very noticeably N's and W's.

Could the dashes written be signifying a language change? I was reading the 2nd word as tief, but I have no doubt the last word is love.

I'll have a pic of the written address up in a minute for comparison.

Last edited:

Frank78

German
    I think it's English, too but have no clue what the second word is supposed to mean. I read "tief" or "tuf".

The last word IS "love" but with a capital L.

The name doesn't seem to be neither German nor English, Hozothy?

By the way, the way 11 is written in the address is one more hint that the author isn't German but from an English-speaking country.

atokad

English - US
    "Rushing love" isn't really a fixed phrase that I know, but it's understandable. I can't come up with any word that fits better. It's pretty clearly "<..>shing" and "rushing love" makes more sense than "pushing love."

manfy

German - Austria
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    There's another dash after 'Rushing', i.e. Wonderful trip - Rushing - Love.
    It would be very unnatural to create such a horizontal line as final stroke of the descender in 'p'. (compare to 'g' in 'Rushing')

Hutschi

Hi, if it was a German person writing English, I can confirm that there was a writing change in Germany.
    The base script in Germany at this time was Sütterlin which was replaced by a new standard latin script in the 1940th.
    And this Sütterlin style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sütterlin may have influenced the writing style of the latin letters.

Even today in hand writing it has some influence. My wife "overlines" the "u" (which is definitely non standard and often misinterpreted as "u".)

I do not know, however, if there is such influence in your letter or if it is just personal style.

("m","n", and "u" look almost the same.)

But the letter definitely is not Sütterlin but Latin script.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >