any children

sunrise13

French
Could you tell me if there's a difference between those two questions asked to a a woman about her children :
" Have you got any children ? " and " Have you got children ? "
Thanks

• quillerbee

Canadian English
    Hi sunrise, I sometimes hear "got" in BE, so it may be fine, but I am not comfortable with it. In a formal situation, I would say politely, "Do you have any children?" but in a casual situation, I would say "Do you have kids?"

JoyLo

English
    Of the two examples you give, I think that "Have you got any children" is more correct. However, Quillerbee is right, it is more polite to say "Do you have any children?"

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I am comfortable with the have you got construction; do you have sounds more formal. I agree with JoyLo that any children is more 'correct', but I think I am more likely to say, 'Have you got children?' because it sounds more casual and less emphatic than 'Have you got any children?'

sunrise13

French
    Hi sunrise, I sometimes hear "got" in BE, so it may be fine, but I am not comfortable with it. In a formal situation, I would say politely, "Do you have any children?" but in a casual situation, I would say "Do you have kids?"

thanks a lot

Myridon

English - US
    It seems to me that the "any children" forms would tend to generate a more detailed response.
    Do you have children?
    Yes.
    Do you have any children?
    Yes, I have three - two boys and a girl.