Any difference? 【seem to make people believe】 vs 【make people seem to believe】

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Shimmer Dancer, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Shimmer Dancer

Shimmer Dancer Senior Member

Chinese
    But because some of the church of England divines would seem to make their people believe, that the Maccabees were not received as canonical Scripture in Gregory the Great's time, consequently not before;
    But because some of the church of England divines would to make their people seem to believe, that the Maccabees were not received as canonical Scripture in Gregory the Great's time, consequently not before;

Hi, everyone

Recently I am discussing a problem with a friend.
    We are arguing :

1)If placing "seem" in differently places in sentences like the ones above would make any difference.

2)If there is any, is it a great one that could possibly change the meaning in a major way?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Hmmm ... interesting question.

The first version sounds definitely better, but somehow I want to use "have" instead of "make".

... divines would seem to have their people believe that ... (no comma before "that", for me).

Your second version appears incorrect to me.

3. Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    Hi, Perpend
    Thank you for your reply. I understand now the second sentence is not right.

The first sentence just means people totally believe it.

However, what if I want to emphasize that the "people seem to believe", that do not believe completely, their views are a bit ambiguous, how can we put it in a grammatically correct way?

4. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    I'm a little confused, but, maybe you mean: ... the divines want their people to seem to believe that ...

:confused: Hopefully someone else might understand this context a bit better.

EDIT: Cross-posted with RM1. I think I was missing something.

5. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    1) Yes
    2) Yes

But because some of the church of England divines would seem to make their people believe, - They appear to make their people believe, but we don't know for sure if they really do make the people believe.
    But because some of the church of England divines would to make their people seem to believe, - The people appear to believe, but we don't know for sure if they really do believe.

6. Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    Thank you RM1(SS).
    I want to know if the above sentence is revised so, is it odd to a native despite the fact it is grammatically correct?

7. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    Neither of your examples is a full sentence, and neither actually makes sense.

8. Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    I did not excerpt the whole sentence because it's pretty long and I think the meaning group can be divided here. I'll try find complete sentences next time.:)

9. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Now that RM1 took the "to" out, the revised part of the sentence makes sense to me.

"would make" in this usage is not very common, but it might fit the style of your text.

10. Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    Great! Thank you!