Any given Sunday

< Previous | Next >

Kerr1gan

Swedish
Hallöchen! I was wondering about the phrase "Any given Sunday". How would you express this in German? If you said "An jedem Sonntag" wouldn't that mean "EVERY sunday"? Danke

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Some context might help us understand more exactly what nuance of "On any given Sunday" is involved.
    Literally, "given" means "gegeben", but chances are you mean an arbitrary Sunday (perhaps in a statistical sense); I think this might work well as "An irgendeinem beliebigen Sonntag".

manfy

German - Austria
    Some context might help us understand more exactly what nuance of "On any given Sunday" is involved.
    Literally, "given" means "gegeben", but chances are you mean an arbitrary Sunday (perhaps in a statistical sense); I think this might work well as "An irgendeinem beliebigen Sonntag".
    Really??
    I always thought that 'any given Sunday' is just a fixed catchphrase and doesn't really relate to Sundays specifically!?? So, more in the sense of 'any given day' or 'any time/any moment'.

@Kerr1gan, if you intentionally refer to only Sundays with your phrase then we have a common but slightly colloquial expression for this:
    "It could happen on any given Sunday." = "Es könnte an jedem x-beliebigen Sonntag passieren."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Really??
    I always thought that 'any given Sunday' is just a fixed catchphrase and doesn't really relate to Sundays specifically!?? So, more in the sense of 'any given day' or 'any time/any moment'.
    I am unaware of any such catchphrase that would refer to something that isn't specifically a Sunday, though it may have tangentially acquired that meaning following the 1999 movie of that name, which I hadn't heard of until now. The title of this, by the way, has been translated as An jedem verdammten Sonntag, which does mean "every damned Sunday", but this is just poetic licence (title translations are often completely different from their originals, just look at what The Sound of Music became in German).

Im Zusammenhang des Films:
    On any given Sunday you're gonna win or you're gonna lose. The point is - can you win or lose like a man?
    bedeutet diese Formel natürlich wörtlich "an jedem x-beliebigen Sonntag", und eigentlich "an jedem x-beliebigen Tag, an dem ein Fußballspiel stattfindet", aber die Spiele finden ja eben alle sonntags statt. Im übertragenen Sinne hat es kaum was mit Sonntagen oder gar mir Tagen zu tun, es bedeutet "Jedes x-beliebige Spiel gewinnt man entweder, oder man verliert es".

In general "any given X" means that we are taking a single arbitrary (beliebig) sample from the set of all X, and then looking at it more closely, treating it as typical, as representative of all X. In the film, X happens to be 'game Sundays', but we could say things like During their time at this college any given student will typically take 8 courses spread over 4 years.

Kerr1gan

Swedish
    Sehr gute Antworten, vielen Dank! Ich glaube dass beliebig ist das Wort dass ich gesucht habe. I should've put the phrase in the context that you gave, "on any given Sunday, you're either gonna win or you gonna lose". Great film by the way, I recommend you see it :D

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, or rather you could say "An irgendeinem Sonntag". But that means something else.
    We really should get the whole family together for a picnic some Sunday.

< Previous | Next >