Any house built in that development before 1970 have to be upgraded to meet current standards

This_Is_Patrick

Parsi
Hello everybody. Hope you are doing well.
1- Any house built in that development before 1970 have to be upgraded to meet current standards
2- Any house, built in that development before 1970, have to be upgraded to meet current standards
My question is that which one sounds more correct and natural in writing?
Many thanks.

• This_Is_Patrick

Parsi
    First of all, "a house" takes the verb in the singular ("have "-> "has").

That said, 1) is correct.
    Thank you. You're right. I made a mistake. It was a typo. I should have said "houses" instead of "house". Would you please tell me why? Because I have seen a couple of examples in Longman Complete Course for the TOEFL Test with the same structure as mentioned in post #1 and The book considered both types correct. That is why I got a bit puzzled. For example :
    The president, surrounded by secret service agents, is trying to make his way to the podium.
    As you can see, it has the same structure and still correct.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The president, surrounded by secret service agents, is trying to make his way to the podium.

Any houses, built in that development before 1970, have to be upgraded to meet current standards.

Try reading both sentences with the participle clauses omitted. The first sentence still makes sense because the participle clause doesn't contain essential information: it's a non-defining clause.

But "...built in that development before 1970" is essential to the meaning of your second sentence. Withput it, the meaning changes. It defines the houses that are to be upgraded, and, since it is a defining clause, there should be no commas.

Any houses built in that development before 1970 have to be upgraded to meet current standards.

(You can also regard them as reduced relative clauses.)

< Previous | Next >