Any money lost last night, anyone?

< Previous | Next >

Burillo

Español
Hi,

I saw on a Tv Show the sentence "Any money lost last night, anyone?". I understand the meaning. However, I am wondering if someone can explain to me the grammar.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

• Lee Ann Sosa

English - US
    They left out a few words. The complete sentence would be:

(Was there) any money lost (by anyone) last night?

Some sentences can lose many words and still be understood, but I don't think there is any specific grammar rule for this. Maybe some expert will weigh in?

reno33

English - USA
    The grammar? Well, it's "simple past" tense. if that's what you mean. Which part is giving you trouble or don't you understand?

Burillo

Español
    Hi,

I am still studying English, so I did not notice that they left out a few words.

Thanks Lee and Reno!

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Like Lee Ann, I'd class it as a type of ellipsis: the question seems to be "[Was] any money lost last night?" and then "anyone" is the people it's addressed to (presumably the other characters or participants in the show).

Burillo

Español
    Wow! Thanks, Donny. Now I know how to call when we leave out words. I did not know that was ellipsis.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's not noticeable in print but when the person was speaking you should have noticed his tone of voice indicating the words were a question and not a statement. His words should have been spoken higher than normal in tone, especially the word "anyone".

Once you understood it was a question, your brain could supply the missing question word(s) at the beginning.

"Was any money lost..." (one possible version)

< Previous | Next >